Chapter Eighteen: Unrecognizable

Thranduil found Legolas and an elleth returning from the direction of which he was going. From the looks of it, they were attending the party together. "Legolas", Thranduil began, "Do you come from Annawrete's chamber?" He would ask his son about his choice of date another time. The crowned prince looked a bit grave and Charlotte gave an expression to match. "I have", Legolas answered, "She is busy and I do not advise you disturb her". They were to borrow a dress for Charlotte, but they never got to ask. It sounded as if Annawrete had been struggling with something and when they heard her scream, they were at the door ready to tear it down. However, it was the low moan of a man that followed that kept them from entering.They concluded that Annawrete was with Ezra, but they could not comprehend how . The king had not permitted him full freedom. "She should be ready", Thranduil rose a concerned brow, "What occupies her?". The prince would not remain, he pulled Charlotte along, "Go and find out, father".

Annawrete and Ezra had consummated by the time Thranduil came knocking. She never would've known if Ezra hadn't come running into the bathroom to inform her. "The door!" he panicked. With his clothes bundled messily in his arms, his body was still exposed and sweaty. The young woman stood up from the floor, her legs weak and tired. She was running water to bathe and the tub was not yet full. She heard Thranduil call her and her heart skipped a beat. She began to lead Ezra out, having the intention to hide him on her balcony. However, impatiently the king announced that he was entering at once, forcing the couple back into the bathroom.

Thranduil proceeded to the bathroom after finding her bed unkempt and her clothes on the floor. With the water barely covered her breasts, Annawrete was laying in the tub with her eyes closed. The king stood over her for some time before stooping down, cupping his hands. Drawing water from her bath, he came to pour it over her head. The young woman awoke from her pretend sleep and looked up at him. Her hands came over her body as she played shy and embarrassed to be found like such. "My lord", she gasped. Just over Thranduil's shoulder, she could see Ezra watching through the door crack of her washroom cabinet and she prayed that he wouldn't be discovered hiding there. "It would not be the first time that I see you like this", Thranduil said. Annawrete looked down at herself, having the guilt of it being true. "I must ready", she whispered. Thranduil began to help her up, and she reached for a towel.

In little time Annawrete was dressed again and looking like Elvin royalty. The wreath crown on her head added to the illusion. "Our guests will remember Mirkwood's good food, good wine, and beautiful hostess", Thranduil said with his hands behind his back. Annawrete was surprised by such a compliment. Before she could question, Thranduil offered her his arm to take.

Annawrete had his arm a majority of the time, following him from table to table, and even sharing a few dances. There came a time when she was taken from him. First by Bard, then by a few other men. However, due to language barriers, her interaction with them was limited to dancing. Regardless of this fact, Thranduil still kept her in his sight.

"The king requests a guard to see lady Annawrete to her bedchamber early", a server came to inform the armored guards outside the banquet hall, "The men are drinking too much and he worries her safety". Ezra stepped forward,disguised from head to two, concealed in helmet and armor. The party was into the third hour, and he could not commit the robbery just yet.

Following the server into the banquet hall, he found himself before the king and bowed. "That man is drunk", Thranduil directed Ezra where to look. "Take Annawrete to her chamber", he instructed,"Soon this place will be filled with drunkards". Having witnessed the way Thranduil looked at Annawrete in the bathroom, Ezra knew it was only an excuse. Regardless, he bowed again and proceeding in Annawrete's direction.

The young woman felt a hand grip her shoulder and she turned to see the guard. "The king has sentenced you to an early retirement tonight", Ezra remained in act, "I am to see you to your bedchamber my lady". Annawrete looked in Thranduil's direction, but he was not looking back. The man that was dancing with her was left confused when she walked away with Ezra.

As they left the party and went upstairs, Annawrete held light conversation with him as if he were a stranger. It was clear she was deceived by his disguise. Suddenly she found herself pressed to a column with his body. "We got married today and you can not recognize me" he teased in Mannish, which her ears could not hear. She knew him then by his physique and she laughed. "How did you manage to get your hands on military gear?" she asked between kisses. Ezra didn't tell and she did not expect him to. "It is almost time", he breathed against her lips, "Stella should be getting ready to stage the distraction". Annawrete smiled, realizing that she did not just get a husband today, but also a sister. "Wonderful", she said, "I await you in the morning". They were to depart before sunrise. Ezra scooped her up and carried her to her bedroom."Sleep well, princess" he wished her the evening, but how could she sleep knowing what was to be pulled off tonight.

Annawrete had not been alone an hour before the door to her room opened. "It cannot be morning already", she sat up when the door closed shut again. In the dark of the room she searched for Ezra, but her eyes found Thranduil instead.