Chapter Fifteen: Unruly

Charlotte was the only one in the room when knocking was heard at the door. Figuring it was Annawrete returning from the library, she got up from where she was. "You've been gone for a long time", she opened the door with a smirk. The mischievous grin faded when she saw it was not her friend standing on the other side but rather the Prince of Mirkwood. Legolas glanced past Charlotte's shoulder and saw that no one else was home. "Annawrete is not here", he stated, "I will come at another hour". 

"She should be returning soon", Charlotte said to retain him. "You are free to wait for her here, my lord". Legolas looked her over and did not refuse for some reason. Stepping into the room, he looked about properly. For a room belonging to females, it was collectively messy. "Excuse the disorder", Charlotte said. She was red faced as she picked her roomate's bra off the floor, "This is not mine.." 

Several minutes had passed and soon the time was approaching another hour. Other roommates had come and gone, but Annawrete was yet to arrive. "Where is it that she has gone?" the Prince finally asked. Charlotte had managed to keep him past an hour already and now she was not sure what to say. "The library," she told the truth---"Doing some research", partial truth. She could not fully lie to the elf she had feelings for. Legolas did not ask further questions.

By the time Annawrete returned, evening had fallen. Because the room was shared by eight females, and all but Annawrete had come and gone at one point or another, Legolas and Charlotte no longer drew their eyes to the door whenever it opened. Thinking that it was someone else that had entered, the prince and the elleth continued playing their card game at the table. It wasn't until Annawrete spoke that she got their attention. "Prince Legolas?" She addressed him. He acknowledged her by standing to his feet and setting his hand of cards down, revealing that he was to lose to Charlotte.

Annawrete gave her friend a nervous glance. What is this about? she wondered. "What is the reason for this pleasure, my lord", she put on formalities. Realizing now the hour, Legolas was going to cut straight to the point of which he came. "My father offers back your position with him", he stated. "I do not expect that you'll say yes immediately, but---" "Yes", Annewrete cut him off. The prince looked to her as if he could have misheard. Charlotte put on an expression to match his. "You would want to leave the guards?" she asked. "You'd move back out..." she concluded slowly. Annawrete had such great potential but more importantly the two had become friends. The young woman held her hands together before herself confidently, "I'm sorry Charlotte, but I've realized that the military isn't my place". She would not reveal that she believed Mirkwood wasn't either.

It so happened that she had spent her hours away listening to Ezra spin tales about a fictional kingdom while being caressed by him. In an afternoon she fell in love with the made up kingdom, the picture of her parents that he painted, and him. Willingly she shared all that she knew of Mirkwood and of Thranduil, she revealed how close she had worked with the king. She told him anything else that he inquired about. It was then that he said she needed to become Thranduil's assistant again for the sake of The Plan. 

"Well, then you will resume at once", Legolas was sure it was what his father would've said. Charlotte couldn't believe it. She felt like the man had something to do with her friend's sudden transition out of the military. As the prince was escorting Annawrete out, Charlotte rose her voice to ask, "What did he tell you?" The young woman turned around to face her, "The truth". 

"Does she accept?" Thranduil asked when he thought he heard the door to his study open. He hadn't looked away from the papers he was reading however. The silence which lasted for too long led him to lift his head to the entry. No one was there---but beside him, she was. Awaiting his instruction, the top of her head was level with the arm of his proud chair as she sat on her legs. "I know where you've drawn the line", she spoke quietly, "I will behave this time".