Chapter 11

Your mind was still spinning, but everything just felt numb as you walked beside the horse that your brothers dead body was lying on top. If someone asked you to explain what happened in the last few hours, you'd have no idea.

You remembered Aaron pulling out a knife and gently stabbing it through Paul's head so he didn't turn. You remembered the whispers from the 'not walkers' and Dog barking like crazy. You vaguely remembered Michonne having to pull you away from Paul's body while Daryl and Aaron carried him out the cemetery. He died in a fucking cemetery of all places.

You weren't sure who had picked your bow up from the ground before you left, but it was now back over your shoulder and you had no idea when the sun had risen, but it was now daylight again.

You weren't really listening when the group started talking about more walkers nearby, nor where you really paying attention when you all stopped walking and Daryl came up to you.

"Y/N? Hey, ya with me?" Daryl asked, now appearing in front of you as he cupped your cheek with his left hand and lifted your head up gently. His piercing blue locking with yours and you nodded ever so slightly, unable to do anything.

"Michonne, the new girls 'n I are gonna lead the walkers to the bridge and take 'em out in case they ain't walkers. Ya stay here with the others, alright?" He asked and again you just nodded as Daryl pressed a soft kiss to your forehead, staring at you for a few seconds like he didn't want to leave you before Aaron walked over to the two of you.

"I'll watch her, just be careful." Aaron said and Daryl looked over at the other man with a grateful nod before he walked off, followed by the others.

Eugene was sitting on one of the horses while Aaron held the reins of the other two horses. None of you dared to speak, what could you possibly say to make this better? You couldn't make it better, your brother was dead. He was dead and you didn't even want to speak into the air that he should be breathing. It should have been you, not him.

You should have seen that something wasn't right or you should have taken care of the last two walkers instead of letting Paul do it or you should have just not let him come on the trip all together. It shouldn't have been him, he was one of the best, he was one of the nicest, most caring guys and he was a leader, it should have been you.

You weren't sure how long the others were gone for, but when they finally returned they weren't alone. Daryl and Michonne were holding what looked to be a teenage girl as they walked towards you, Magna and Yumiko close behind them, but you were focused on the kid. How did they find a kid? Weren't they taking out the walkers... she was one of them, one of the skins.

"Is she one of them?" You questioned, sudden anger taking over your body as you took a few steps towards them, not even caring how cracked and broken your voice sounded as you reached for the machete strapped to your waist.

"Yeah, we're taking her back to Hilltop to find out what she knows." Michonne answered, but you didn't bother looking at the other woman, your eyes glued to the girl. She was one of them, her people killed your brother.

"No." You said shaking your head as you pulled your machete out with shaky hands. She doesn't get to live, not after what they did.

"Y/N, don't." Daryl spoke up, leaving Michonne with the girl as he took a few steps towards you, holding his hands out to show that he means no harm as he stared at the machete in your hands.

"They killed my brother! Her people killed him! Why is she still alive? She doesn't get to live after what they did to him." You shouted, your voice breaking at the end as you stared at Daryl and you could feel tears rising in your eyes again.