prolouge

High School Senior Year

It was hectic. The lights were blaring onto the field as students raced to the players to congratulate them. Our last game of the year, and we won.

Coach Rook was trying to gather us cheerleaders to get a picture, but the tast was easier said then done. She turned to me.

I already knew what she was going to ask so I spoke up, "Cheerleaders! Pictures!"

Soon enough, the squad was around and we took our picture. Later I would recieve an email saying the picture was put up in the school's hall of fame.

A woman in a pansuit walked up to me with a friendly smile, "Olivia Clark?"

I smiled and nodded my head.

"We're interested in you," and she gave me a golden envelope. It wouldn't be the only envelope I received that night, but it was the only one that mattered.

When Coach Rook said we could, I drove home and grabbed my textbooks and then drove to the hospital.

"Miss Clark, how did you guys do?" Nurse Kevin asked when he saw me. He was my mama's favorite nurse as he snuck her chocolate.

"Lafeyette won 34 to 14," I said as we walked towards Mama's room.

"Nice. Sad the season's over?"

"Not really," I shrugged my shoulders.

"Nice. I'll see you later, Miss Clark," he said when we reached Mama's room.

I sighed and walked in the room. As always, Mama is in her bed playing a serious game of Candy Crush.

"Hey Mama," I smiled at her own smile, "Any updates?"

"I reached level two hundred and forty-six," she paused, "make that forty-seven,"

She placed her phone on the little side table and gave me her attention.

"The game?" She asked toying with blanket.

"We won, 34 to 14," I informed her.

"And the piles of textbooks in your arms?" She began to play with her wedding ring that she refused to take off, even after the divorce.

"I have a chem test next Friday, a Lit quiz Wednesday, a government test Tuesday, and a knowlege check Tuesday too," I said with a smile the pulled out the envelopes I've gotten from colleges, "and I need your help sorting through these."

Mama smiled at me, "Honey, don't over work yourself. You don't need anymore grey hairs,"

We laughed before stifling through the college letters.

Many offered a multitude of scholarships but they were far away. There was one, though, that was perfection. It was here in town, was paying all of my expenses, and was only four minutes away.

That night it was decided, I was going to go to Missouri Western.