Chapter 15 - Calling Myself

“Sounds like a plan,” concluded Michael, drawing a final line in the dirt with a stick. He pointed towards the upper corner of his makeshift picture of the arena as he looked at Damien and Sarah, “You two will head around the walls of the arena, constantly on the move. If you hug the wall there is a slightly higher chance of being spotted, but it’s impossible to get ambushed.”

Sarah and Damien glanced at each other, giving slight nods. They watched Michael etch a few pictures that looked like mountains onto the map. He enthusiastically pointed and prodded at the area above the mountain range.

“Wait, won’t they need support?” Alice piped up, a slight smile playing on her lips. She hoped that Michael would assign her to Damien’s group.

Michael shook his head, frowning, “No, if we put too many people against the wall this plan is all for nothing.” Alice folded her arms and pouted, her bottom lip protruding errantly, “I’m sorry, Alice, but I’ve seen Damien in the T.A.G. arena before, and it’s best to pair our teammates with the lowest skill with those of the highest skill.” He shrugged apologetically at Sarah, who hadn’t seemed to mind that she was the one referred to as the teammate with the lowest skill. Instead, she mouthed a ‘thank you’ at him.

She huffed and nodded reluctantly, “Fine. I can understand that type of strategy,” Alice paused only slightly, “Where does that leave me?”

Michael grinned, “I was hoping you’d ask,” he drew a few more circles, “Here, and here. These two spots will be crucial to hold.”

Alice’s eyes widened in shock, “No way, that’s suicide! You picked the middle of the arena and the dirt path leading to the mountain face! That’s in plain sight!”

Michael grinned, “If Damien and Sarah head around the wall and make their way over the mountain on the opposite side we’ll effectively have snipers on the ridge to cover any advancing teams.” Alice’s face lit up with understanding and nodded.

“What about you?” Joshua’s hand was resting on his chin, obviously in thought, “If we have Sarah and Damien heading around back, and have Alice placing herself along that dirt road with me,” he paused, “then that leaves you in the center?”

There was a small silence before Michael spoke, “It’s not as bad as it seems. The woods are pretty thick around the center. Think about it, if we place two people in the middle we’re just asking for double the casualties. Also,” Michael jabbed his stick between the two circles, “I’m well within your range of hearing. If any shots are fired in the center you’ll know.” Michael stood up, pointing to the nearby mountain range that hugged the jungle trees. His emerald eyes flicked to life as he smiled, “Sarah and Damien cover you, and you guys cover me. Plus,” his eyes darted to Joshua, “I don’t get tired like you do. I’d say we’ve got the advantage.”

Joshua took the information in slowly. Michael observed the emotions that flooded his face. Each took a turn: worry, confusion, reluctance, all replaced by understanding. He nodded, pulling a handgun out of his right thigh holster. He motioned for Alice to follow him. She gave one last look behind her at the group, particularly Damien, and then trotted after Joshua in her heels.

“Suit up and head out,” Michael happily sang, darting into the center of the arena. He barely had time to glance behind him, seeing Damien and Sarah cautiously make their way to the outer wall.

*****

Damien helped Sarah up off of her rock. She stood shakily before giving him a smile a warm smile.

Lengths of her hair already had begun to stick to her face, glued there by the humidity. Her form was snuggly held by the suit. Over her shoulder was slung a long, military-grade sniper rifle – obviously filled with plastic bullets. Magazines for the rifle – and the handgun that was holstered on her right thigh – were attached to her belt.