Chapter 4 - Group Chat

Damien sat in a chair a little ways away from her. Sarah didn't actually consider the bean-bag Damien was slouching in a "chair" by any means, but it was a close enough description. He was fully engrossed in the game he was playing. She moved her eyes from Damien smashing his controller buttons to the floor, remembering the events that led up to that moment.

She vaguely remembered Damien gaping for answers and a strong silence that had permeated the room. Michael was the first one to speak, suggesting that Damien play some games to pass the time until the guests had arrived. He then had taken Michael to the back wing of the house and had helped him set up the console. Michael had instructed Sarah to get ready for her party. She had spent the majority of the time they were setting up the console with laying out snacks and other arrangements.

She seemed to come back to reality when Michael and Damien started a mock fist-fight over who was cheating and who wasn't. Michael had volunteered to keep Damien busy throughout the night until Sarah could talk with him one-on-one.

The thought scared her half to death. It was exciting and exhilarating, making her heart feel like it stopped and started at the exact same time. Butterflies seemed to be having some sugar-spawned party in her stomach, and her face flushed. However, at the same time, she felt sick to her stomach, like her whole world might unravel if the confession went badly. She could just imagine the world falling to famine, war, and pestilence if she failed. The Earth would split in two, all air being vented to space. Global warming would burn everyone alive, and everyone would die, all because she was rejected.

She shook her head and called herself, inwardly, a drama-queen, but the feelings were still just as real.

"That's not fair!" yelped Damien as Michael began to fiddle with his controller, pressing buttons in a fury that would make anyone lose, regardless of how skilled they were. "Stick to your side of the room!"

"I didn't know we had sides," Michael smiled. "All's fair in love and war."

Love.

That was what was causing Sarah so much inner turmoil. The word hung on the air, and it even seemed to cause Damien to pause for a moment. He gave her a sideways glance, as if calculating or contemplating. She couldn't tell still what he had heard, or what he thought of it, for that matter. All she knew was her chest was constricted with anxiety and it threatened to suffocate her.

*****

Damien's brown eyes looked the golden-haired girl up and down, noticing that she was barely breathing. He couldn't quite understand what was going on in Sarah's head, but part of him was dying to find out. The more cautious part figured it would be best not to ask.

At least not yet.

Michael was, still, invading his personal space. A few warning jabs and kicks later Michael finally got the idea and started to game fairly.

It was then that Damien won.

"Wow, what a game," sighed Michael happily, "I always knew you didn't suck so bad, but now you've proven it."

"Yeah, I believe they call 'don't suck so bad' 'skilled'," retorted Damien with a chuckle.

"Is that what the cool kids are calling it nowadays?" Michael began to act like an old man, even going as far as sounding like an old-person. He put effort into the actions and voice. The whole nine yards.

"Yes, Grandpa, that's what they're calling it," said Damien, his voice now matching a small toddler.

Suddenly a laugh chirped from behind them.

Damien was the first to look to his right, where the source of the laugh had come from. There was Sarah, a slight blush coloring her cheeks. There wasn't even a question about it. She had laughed at his joke.