Chapter 25 - Promotions

Damien chuckled slightly, "Someone is after me? Oh boy, I hope it's not The Holos - they win!" He threw his arms up defiantly and resumed his mocking glare.

Richfield huffed out a sigh, "Look, I know you don't believe that you're an electronic... 'clone child', and I'm not begging you to, and I certainly don't expect you to," Damien cocked one eyebrow, "...yet. However, this goes beyond you and me right now. What I need you for is much more than a history lesson, or a trip down memory lane. No, no. Damien, you're meant for much more here at The Holos."

"Pray tell."

"For starters, I've never seen anyone with the skills you have at cyberspace transportation and tracking. It's a gift, Damien - one that I'm not ashamed to tell you I want to exploit. In our constant struggle with the government we need every gifted man, woman, and child we can get."

"What a great slogan for a poster," Damien grinned in dismay.

"Isn't it just," agreed Richfield half-heartedly, "but it's true. In all four of these bases, do you know how many people we have working with us?" Damien shook his head, "What Alice probably didn't tell you was that all of those four-thousand some-odd people didn't join us. In fact, a laughably small fraction did." Richfield paused and scooted a little closer in his chair, "We have around two-thousand, give or take a little. That was with the 200-person boost we got from saving those former British citizens."

Damien's eyes widened, "Only two-thousand?"

The Commander nodded in response, "Only that. Trust me, I'd like to think my and my wife's joining somehow made a difference. Thank heavens so much is automated nowadays."

Damien didn't share the sentiment, but did appreciate the humor, however small, "You said you wanted me for something else?"

Richfield sat upright in his chair, "Yes."

He stood, reaching over the table that took up most of the room. "I want you to lead a mission that will help us gain an edge in this war and track down the people who want you."

The chocolate-eyed boy's slouch all but vanished as his eyes widened in disbelief, "I'm not even a Holos member yet and you want me to lead a mission?"

"I know this isn't going to be fun for you-"

"Listen, Richfield was it? I know you guys think you're fighting some crazy war and that I'm some sort of super-child, but you've got it all wrong. There hasn't been a war in a long, long time."

Richfield's eyes narrowed on Damien, "That, Mr. Sullivan, is where you're mistaken." His tone was matter-of-fact; cold and calculated. "We've been at war for many, many years."

"With who?"

Damien's question was meet with momentary silence as Richfield inhaled deeply. "Simply? The government. The issue? They're not just one entity. It, rather, has consumed most of the world into its uniform clutches. This organization, which has yet to make itself known, is looking to use its Enforcers and every power it can get its hands on to assume complete control."

A weak smile replaced the earlier confidence in Aaron. "Damien," he began, "I want you to lead an attack at a suspected storage facility of theirs that may hold more information about you than I think even Dr. Gram could give you. This helps you and us."

There was a pause.

"Can I choose who comes with me?"

Richfield held his breath a moment, and with an exhale, "Yes."

"And, upon entry into the Holos, can those same members be brought in and given the same privileges?"

"You drive a hard bargain, Mr. Sullivan." The reply was just as hesitant as the first, "Yes."

"Deal," Damien replied almost immediately, hand outstretched.

Richfield smiled warmly and took his hand, "Welcome, Coordinator."

"Coordinator?" Damien queried.

"Yes. Think of it as second only to me. And your friends will be Taskers, not Specialists. They will work under you."

*****

That night Damien found it hard to sleep. He didn't like the feeling of being underground and unable to tell where he was in relation to, well, everything.

Sarah and Michael were attending training to become Taskers, and Alice and Joshua were to be promoted as well after speaking with Richfield and other leaders. Damien assumed it was just a debrief or something mundane.

He ran the moments through his head again and again. Alice smiling happily as she saw Damien receive his specialty badge and purple TED. He pieced together that everyone had a different color TED depending on what rank they held. Reds were Specialists. Transportation of any kind, green. Taskers or higher, blue.

And him? Coordinators and their superiors - the ranks he didn't remember - had purple TEDs. He saw a few other colors as well, but couldn't remember very well. Everything had been such a hurried mess. He had eaten and showered, then led to the room he now found himself in.

There was a chime that drew him from his thoughts, "Enter."

The door slid open and a blur of auburn raced towards him. She tackled him in his bed and hugged onto him, all the while happily exclaiming her congratulations.

Michael chuckled as he followed her in, "Mind if I come in?"

"Can you help me with my girl problems?" Damien asked, pointing to the snuggling girl on him.

Michael shook his head and grinned, "Sorry, I'm under strict Alice-orders to let her hug you."

"That's right!" said Alice triumphantly.

Damien shoved her off with great effort, both of them laughing. "Where's Joshua? Sarah?"

Alice spoke up matter-of-factly, "Joshua is showing her the ropes of her new specialty since they both got the same one."

"Same one?"

Michael answered this time, "Medical."

"A Medical Tasker? Really?"

Michael shrugged, as did Alice. "Whatever works, right?"

Damien couldn't disagree, but it was Alice who, surprisingly, had something kind to say, "I think they'll do an excellent job."

"Oh?" came Damien's inquiry.

She nodded, blue eyes shimmering, "They can mend each others broken hearts as I steal you away." She stuck her tongue out with a sly grin.

"Alice!" chided Michael.

"Wait," paused Damien, "mend each other's? I get why Sarah might be upset per your joke, but why would Joshua...?"

Alice broke eye contact and kept her gaze to the floor, ashamed.

Damien let out a whoop, "You?! And him?!"

"No way," gasped Michael, his hand flying to his mouth.

She nodded. "Don't tell him I told you we were... you know, an item?"

"Why?"

She answered Michael briefly, "That's a story for another time."

He took the hint and asked no more.