one-hundred-twenty-six.

KRIST AND SHELLI had had the right idea all along -- there was no kind of wedding that was better than a backyard wedding. Lindy had ultimately decided this as the reception began to swing into party mode in the coming night.

Pictures were taken directly after the ceremony, but to Lindy's amusement, each shot was captured on Shelli's old Polaroid camera. She liked the idea of an all-Polaroid wedding album, but found it funny that after each picture was snapped, everyone had to wait for the actual image to develop to see how it had turned out. 

The party was moved underneath the tent and the candles were quickly lit to accommodate the setting sun. Lindy had to hand it to Shelli and Beth; they had decorated beautifully, and she felt like she was in the midst of a summer's eve party rather than being stuck in the dead of winter. Bowls of wildflowers were everywhere and string lights had been added in addition to the tea lights. Everything about the scenery, from the tables to the white cover of the tent glowed gold. Lindy had never thought a wedding could be so beautiful.

Together, she and Kurt greeted their guests. At that point, Charlie had been returned to her arms, so as she gave her round of thank-you's, she also had the opportunity to introduce their baby to those who had yet to meet him. Plenty of Kurt's friends from the world of rock music had shown up -- Lindy had the pleasure of meeting poignant idols in Kurt's life like Mark Arm of the Mudhoney and Michael Stipe of R.E.M..

Their other guests were a random mix of family or friends that they had each known, come to congratulate them on making things official. But one thing remained the same with each interaction; Lindy could feel everyone's wondrous stare, praising her silently with their eyes for helping to keep Kurt alive. She could tell that they all shared the same question, which was 'how?' But she honestly did not have an answer. She assumed that only Kurt really knew 'how.'

Kurt's dad was even present, along with his wife Jenny and their son Chad. Kurt had stiffened as he'd approached his father alongside Lindy, no doubt cataloguing a million reasons in his head why he shouldn't have invited him. Lindy had soothed his worries with a simple touch of her hand to his back, directing him towards the broken relationship that she would have loved to see him mend.

"You both look wonderful. And very happy," Don Cobain said slowly, staring intently at his son and explicitly stating each word, pushing as much goodwill as he could into every syllable. He looked down at Charlie with evident emotion on his face, fascinated over seeing his grandson.

"We are. Thanks for coming," Kurt said tightly.

"We're so pleased to finally see you happy, Kurt," Jenny blurted, her eyes shining with what Lindy guessed were remorseful tears. Bravely, she stepped forward to give her step son a hug. He patted her back lamely, but Lindy attempted to save the gesture by hugging Jenny back firmly with Charlie right in the middle of them.

It wasn't the most successful of reunions, but it was at least a step towards something positive on the horizon.

One of the last pair of guests that Kurt and Lindy approached were Jack and Dawn, both of them looking far more elegant than anyone else at the reception. Lindy knew it was unintended. They were both too respectable for their own good.

"Congratulations," Jack said, pulling Lindy into a hug that was maneuvered around Charlie. When she drew back, she saw his eyes burn with a glint of reluctance, as if it pained him to let her go. She could assume what he was thinking, and it must have had a lot to do with their past relationship. She wondered if he was regretting the reality that it was Kurt instead of him standing next to Lindy with a wedding band on his finger.

"I'm so happy you invited us," Dawn enthused. "And I hate to say it, but I'm freaking out a little over the fact that Kim Gordon is barely twenty feet away from us right now."