The Shuriken

Some time had passed, since Sensei Joe had died. I was training Atara.

"You are getting pretty good with that chain, Atara!" I said - patting him on the back

Atara positioned himself in to a stance.

"Ya!" He screamed, as he swung the chain.

It wrapped tightly around a pine branch.

Atara yanked the chain back. The branch came down with a crack.

Atara put away the chain, and turned to face me. We bowed slowly. Atara went into the cabin. He returned with small bucket.

"I'm going down to spring to get some water." Atara said

"Fine." I replied. "I'm going to take a walk in the woods - it's a magnificent day!"

We parted ways. Atara headed down to the spring. His feet scurried along the rocky creek-side. He reached the spring, and immersed his bucket. The water bubbled, as the bucket dropped into a small pool - where the water came out of the hillside. Atara looked down the rocky sluice-way, that connected the spring to the creek. He noticed something - shining beneath the the water. Atara set down the bucket. He knelt down to get a closer look. It appeared to be some kind of of metallic star. Atara took the star from the water, and slid it in to his pocket

Meanwhile, I was taking a stroll through the woods. It was a cool day - perfect for a walk. I was playing my 12-string. There seem to be a hint of melancholy in the air. I still couldn't come to terms with Joe's death. I never could have dreamt, what happened. The kind of person he became. The wind seemed to stop blowing for a moment. The leaves appeared to separate in front of me. I slowly bent down to examine the, now exposed earth. There was a set of tabi boot-prints. They went up an unfamiliar trail. I knew they couldn't be mine. I followed the prints up the path. The led me to the top of a grass-covered hill.

The hill was very tall. I could look out over all of Hayatoge, and the surrounding farms. I realized that this was the knoll, that I saw from the gorge below. The footprint led down the knoll, and around to a rocky cliff. The cliff rose up from the gorge below. There was something, indented in the cliffside. It looked like an opening - just big enough for someone to crawl though. I could tell by the sun, that it was getting late. I headed back down the trail, towards the cabin. My explorations, would have to wait for another day.

Tonight was a big night for Atara. There was a talent show in Raven. Atara was going to demonstrate his skills with the chain. I planned to perform something on my guitar. The cool air stirred again, as the cabin came into sight. Atara was waiting with the bucket of spring water.

"How was your walk?" He asked, as I grabbed the bucket.

"Very good! I took the trail, up to the top of the hill - beautiful view!" I replied - my mouth dripping with spring water.

"Ah, Kesho's Bluff. What a wonderful picnic spot!"

"It is something!" I exclaimed with vigor.

"Did you see the cave of the giant rat?" Atara asked.

"Giant rat? Is that what live in there?"

'No. That's just something people around here like to say, to scare the children. The cave is empty." Atara chuckled.

I put the bucket down. "I think I'll take a little nap in hammock - we've got a big night ahead of us!"

"About tonight..." Atara said, hesitantly. He pulled the star out of his pocket. "I found this in the down at the spring - do you think I can use this in the show?"

I snatched it out of his hand, quickly.

"This is a shrunken - a dangerous weapon! You better let me hold on to this until I can train you." I exclaim, tucking it under my belt.

Atara looked disappointed. He took the bucket, and headed into the woods. I went around the cabin, to my hammock. I lay down - watch the leaves fall, from the two stout hickories. My eyes grew tired, while watching the leaves, and I fell asleep...

Atara stomped heavily though the forest.

"I've done so well with the chain - why can't I use the shuriken too!" He thought to himself.

Atara continued though the woods, until he reached Kesho's bluff. He sat down on the grass, and looked up into the sky.

"I found the shuriken - why does Nishoma have to keep it?" Atara groaned, dropping his head into his hands.

"Because he wants it for himself!" A voice exclaimed.

Atara looked up - he didn't see anyone.

"Who is it?" Atara asked.

"You know you're ready!" The voice interrupted.

"Ready for what?" Atara replied.

"To take over as sheriff - Nishoma has trained you!"

"We haven't trained that long - there is still a lot that I need to learn."

"Hogwash!" The voice interrupted. "That's what Nishoma wants you to think - he knows your ready! He just wants the glory for himself!"

"Maybe I am ready!" Atara said confidently. "But what about Nishoma - He's, the sheriff!"

"Get rid of him! He dosen't care about you!" The voice snapped back.

"You mean - kill him?" Atara asked.

"Right now, he is asleep in his hammock. Strangle him with the chain! Take what's rightfully your's!"

Atara stood up - angered. "I would NEVER kill Nishoma - He's my friend!"

Atara pulled out the chain. He turned around - ready to strike. A large, black figure, loomed in front of him. He had no limbs, and no facial features. It was as if he was floating in mid-air. Atara let out a scream, and swung the chain at the shadowy figure...

"Ah!" I woke up.

That was some nightmare! The sun's rays, dove behind the forest. I jump out of hammock, and grabbed my guitar. Atara left a note on the door - saying that he had left for the show. I hurried across the bridge, to the four-way trail. I stayed strait, and continued down the path, towards Raven. I had never been down this far before, and it was getting dark. It got harder to see, as the evening grew on. I continued to run over, the rough terrain.

"Agh!" I tripped over something hard.

I fell face first - hitting the leaf-covered ground. I felt my hands being tied behind my back. My body scrapped across the rough earth. I was being dragged. The smell of smoke was coming from in front of me. My body was still. I could see the light of a small fire.

"So, your the new sheriff!" I heard a raspy voice say.

I looked up. There was an old man in torn clothes - eating a some food from a tin plate.

"Mighty fine shuriken you've got there!" The old man said - reaching for my belt.

He took the shuriken, and began to examine it.

"Rusty, but sharp! The man laughed. "You don't have anything else I might want - now do you?"

I nodded my head, in the ground.

"Well then! It looks like your job here is done!" The old man snickered.

He reached into his worn coat, and pulled out a tanto knife.

"This wont hurt a bit!" The man taunted, while turning me over.

He pulled the knife from it's wooden scabbard.

"What do you say, we tell them that it was suicide?" He said, holding the blade over my gut.

I took a deep breath. It looked like Atara would become the new sheriff, anyways...

There is a hidden clue in this chapter, that gives away an important secret...