The Shamisen

It was Atara - donned in his ancestors' fatigue. I was speechless. There was something hanging from his neck. I never saw it before. Atara pulled me up off the ground. I got to my feet, and brushed off my blood-stained shozoku. I could see now, that it was a gold kamon necklace - the same kamon that was on my belt. I looked up at Atara's face.

"You'll never believe what happened to me!" Atara expressed with glee.

"I have an idea..." I replied as we left the moonlit grove.

Atara told me his story, as we walk back to the cabin. Atara explained to how he died, and met Sensei Joe. Joe told him that I would meet an enemy tonight, whom I would not be able to beat. He told Atara to don his father's breastplate, and mother's family kabuto. Joe heeded Atara about people with hazy, black eyes. He said that they are filled with an evil force, that is quite strong. Joe led Atara though the forest, to where I was, and gave him the temporary ability to cast out this evil force. Before he left, Joe told Atara, that he had drained all of his resurrectional power. He causationed him, stating that the next time he died; he would stay dead.

I was still amazed at what had happened over the last day. I was anxious to personally meet, and train with the ninja. I told Atara all about him, and how he saved my life. Joe told me that he would be my new sensei. However, I could not seem to get him to talk to me. I knew that I made the right decision, becoming the sheriff of Hayatoge. It was a hard road already; but it was my destiny.

I could see the cabin - illuminated by the faint gleams of dawn. We finally reached the short stone fence, that surrounded the cabin. Atara gave me a big bear hug, and we parted ways. I could hear the cabin door shut, as I rested my head on the hammocks netting. This had truly been an unforgettable day. All I think about, was getting some sleep, after a long night. I closed my eyes...

The full moon shinned brightly, upon the broken glass panels. I was standing somewhere in the forest - somewhere I had never been. Before me was a large, grey-stone building. The entrance was quite disheveled - I couldn't get in the dilapidated doors. Beside the building, were greenhouses. Most of the panels were broken, but the frame was still erect.

I noticed that the padlock on the thin metal door, was broken. I slowly opened the door. The rusty hinges creaked and moaned. The first greenhouse was overgrown with a tall, grass-like grain. A sign on the back of the door read: "Tylor Karr - Cancer Research Center & Greenhouses" . I looked down at the muddy floor. There was a tabi boot print. It was the same ones that I had seen in the forest, a few days ago. I heard something moving in front of me.

I quickly looked up. It was the ninja. He glanced at me, and then dart into an adjoining greenhouse. I just stood there. Why should I bother to chase after him? This is just a dream - isn't it? The stopped, turned, and starred at me. Our eyes locked. Suddenly, I felt an overwhelming urge, to chase him. I ran through the the grass, in to another ivy covered greenhouse.

The ninja stopped, and tossed a piece of a broken panel at me. I ducked, just as the glass flew above me. My eyes gazed at the ninja, as he he ran into the third greenhouse. I was filled with tremendous excitement. I could feel my heart pounding - outside of the dream. I chased the ninja to the back of the last greenhouse. He was trapped - nowhere for him to go.

"I've finally caught you!" I said, sneeringly.

The excitement was growing. My heart raced faster than ever. I leaned in. My hand reached out towards the ninja; but he was too fast. He torn off my hood, then proceeded to grab hold of my shirt. I didn't know what was happening. I should have been afraid for my life; but I wasn't. Just as the ninja began to shake me, I heard music...