Chapter 5 - General Lang

Ruyi stiffened her spine and turned to face him. He was massive in size, overwhelming tall. He seemed to invade her space in a way that no one else had ever done. When she finally looked up at his face, she was surprised by his youth. He had a young face, but his eyes gave away the horrors he had seen. His hair was long, a little messy, and tied back with tawny string. Muscular and broad, he was easily the largest man she had ever encountered. She cleared her throat, and forced herself to meet his eyes.

"Thank you, sir. It would be an honour to join your medic team," she said. Lang looked upon his prince with slight worry, but appeared satisfied with her work. He regarded her seriously, without warmth. "You do understand what it would mean if I allowed you to join us. You would be in dangerous places, miss. You would be at risk of being killed at any moment. Do you understand?"

Ruyi nodded. "My brother was conscripted today, sir. I am serious about being a doctor. I am not afraid."

Lang nodded and whispered several words to Bolin, before turning away and walking swiftly out of the hospital.

"Well, I would say that went rather well," Bolin said happily, and clapped his hands together, much to Ruyi's amusement. But she was left slightly disconcerted by the General's coldness towards her.