Chapter 29 - The Shifting Tide

"Your wound is looking much better," Ruyi said, as she unwrapped the cloth from her patient's calf. She inspected it, touching her fingers lightly over the pink skin. Wanyu was a soldier, a bowman, and had returned from the battle with minor injuries. "I will be able to take out your stitches soon," she said, covering it once more with the cloth. Wanyu nodded gratefully, his young face full of worries far beyond his injuries. 

"What's bothering you, Wanyu?" Ruyi asked as he pulled down his pant leg. 

"I'm just afraid of another battle, Doctor." He seemed ashamed to admit it, looking down at his shoes. Ruyi took in his scarred hands, his bruised cheek. A feeling of sympathy flooded her. How did her husband do it, year after year? It wasn't right, to constantly fear for your own life. It would be impossible to look to the future, to have hope. 

She grasped his rough hand in her own and tried to give him a reassuring smile. "There may not be a need for another one. We still haven't heard from the Princess."

Wanyu nodded, returning her smile, although doubtful. He thanked her and Bolin for the treatment before returning to the training grounds. 

With no battles to prepare for, Ruyi busied herself with helping her patients recover. She had the time to experiment with herbal combinations and reading from Bolin's old notes. It was her favourite thing to do, could almost get lost in the reading and brewing. It reminded her of her time back home, where she would work alongside her father. They never needed to talk much, but could synergistically work around each other in that small kitchen. 

"Ruyi! Ruyi!" Minmin swung the apothecary door open, panting heavily. 

"Minmin, what is it?" Ruyi put down her ladle, and dried her hands on her dress cover, before meeting Minmin by the doorway.

"It's the Princess. She sent back a note. She's to be married to the Qing Emperor!" 

Ruyi stared. "Married?" 

Minmin nodded with urgency, "That's not all. You've been invited to attend." 

*  *  *

Delun sat on the bed as his wife paced back and forth before him. In the background, Minmin was helping Ruyi pack her belongings for the long journey to the Qing Empire. 

"My love, come sit down." 

Ruyi ignored him. 

"No. How can they just steal the Princess and then expect her to marry that old devil!" Her fingers were balled into tight fists, and she continued to pace, her dress swishing around her ankles.

"The Princess has made her decision. She spoke to Jiawu when we tried to bring her back last time." 

Ruyi stopped and faced her husband. "She did?" 

Delun nodded before standing up and grabbing her hands. Gently, he led her to the bed and sat her down. 

"It could mean peace between our two nations. It could be the end of war," he said, kneeling before his wife.

Ruyi sighed, calming down. It would change everything for her people. She felt deep sympathy and respect for the Princess. It would be the ultimate sacrifice. Her life for her country. Though she never properly met Yunmei, it seemed to match her kindness of spirit. 

"Still, we'll need to be careful," she said. 

"I agree. We can't trust the Qings. We'll need to be prepared when we arrive. I'll be leading the forces during our visit. The Emperor must be protected. General Tan and his guard will protect the palace."

Delun sighed, pulling his wife into his arms, keenly aware of her slender figure, her physical fragility. 

"I wish you could stay here, stay safe," he said. 

"I know. But I have to go. I'll have you by my side," she reassured. "Besides, with Bolin staying here at the palace. You'll need a doctor for the journey."