Chapter 10

Jessica’s POV

    Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap. I was late, a whole twenty minutes late and counting. George was going to kill me. I was practically sprinting down my street and towards my house while trying to think of an excuse as to why I was late. Hmm, extracurricular activity? No, I’ll save that for when I’m an hour late. I got detention? Yeah that might work, but he might get mad. I stayed after class for Science help. Yeah, that’ll work.

My house comes into view and I sprint even harder. I noticed that my uncle’s car was in the driveway, crap. I run past his car and up the cement steps. I stand in front of the door, catching my breath before I opened the door to my own personal hell.

There was a huge thud as my hand rested on the knob. I jumped and immediately tried opening the door. It was locked. No. I started to bang the door and even tried kicking it in, but it wouldn’t budge.

“Melissa! Melissa!” I bang the door harder and I hear another thud on the other end.

“Leave her alone!” My voice was shrill and I found myself starting to cry. He was hurting her and I couldn’t do anything to stop it. Wait a second. I realized that George always leaves the side door unlocked. I picked myself up off the welcome mat and ran to the gate. That was locked, but I easily climbed over and stopped briefly, praying that the door wasn’t locked.

I turned the knob slowly and heard the click of it opening. Yes! I pushed the door open quietly and shut it without it making a sound. I crept around the corner, into the kitchen and stopped. Melissa was on the ground by the door huddled up in a ball trying to protect herself as best she could. He was just standing over her, probably wondering why I stopped banging. I knew he only hurt he to hurt me, and it pissed me off.

Without even thinking I charged right for him and jumped on his back. He yelled as I grabbed his hair and reached my other hand around to the front of his face, looking for his eyes. Another scream confirmed that I did get his eye and that’s when he started thrashing me around like a ragdoll. My legs swung back and forth as he tried to shake me off.

He reached behind him and grabbed a chunk of my hair, trying to pull me off him. I screamed as I dug my nails into the side of his face before I lost my grip and was thrown across the room, hitting the wall hard. My arms were shaking as I tried to push myself up, but he got to me first.

He kicked me in the stomach and pulled me up by my hair. Tears starting rolling down my face as I as I grabbed his arm, trying to make him let go of my hair. He then jerked my body forward and slammed me back into the wall, head first.

He releases my hair and I collapse to the floor. My head was throbbing and my vision started to go black. I brought my hands up to my face and felt around for any serious damage. I ran my hand on the back of my head and felt something warm. I pulled back my hand and to no surprise, it had tons of blood on it. I put my hand back to the same spot, feeling for anything broken, but I was lucky. The skin was split.

Focusing back on the current situation, George was over stop of my sister, and was hitting her again. Though I could barely stand, and my vision was still spotted with black, I ran back to him and jumped on his back again.

I wrapped my arms hard around his neck this time, and he once again started to shake me violently. I clung to his neck as hard as I could, and he threw his hands back up above his head to try and pull me off. I pulled my body away from his back, just missing his hands, which were now trying to pry my arms open.

He stopped shaking me for a moment still trying to tear my arms apart and I seizing the opportunity. I slammed my foot in between his legs and finished him with a kick to the back of the knee... He connected with the hardwood floors with a hug thud and moaned. I hit him hard enough to give us an opportunity to run.