Cold

Yaoyorozu tapped the book with two fingers, signalling for Todoroki to read the third paragraph from the top. He seemed reluctant, almost a little bored, as he leaned in to get a glimpse of the text. The dorms were silent beyond the cramped bedroom; the bedsprings creaked as Todoroki shifted his weight beside her, his brow knitted together as he read.

The chill night air stole into the room and tingled up Yaoyorozu’s spine. Todoroki shivered beside her, and her gaze slid to his face. He glanced up from the page and fixed on her with hard, unreadable eyes. “What is it?” He questioned.

“Are you cold? You just-”

"Not really,” he interrupted. “The drop in temperature was unexpected, but I’m fine.”

Yaoyorozu squinted. “You have goosebumps,” she observed. “There,” she gestured to his forearm, “and there.”

“I’m fine,” he insisted.

“Why don’t you just regulate your body temperature?” She asked him, more out of curiosity than concern. “Can’t you just-”

“I won’t use my left side until I need to.” Leaning back on the palms of his hands, Todoroki’s eyes flitted up to the ceiling. I don’t think it’s wise to rely on one’s quirk for every little thing.”

Yaoyorozu spread her arms. “Our quirks are apart of us,” she commented. “We rely on them as we rely on our hearts to beat life into our veins.”

Todoroki perched an eyebrow. “I suppose that’s easy for you to say.”

A trickle of guilt made her achingly aware of Todoroki’s sharpened gaze. He seemed to take a moment to read her expression, catching a glimpse of her soul as if it were a public spectacle to be examined. For someone who usually didn’t speak in class himself, she could never seem to hide things from him.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized quickly, averting her gaze. “I didn’t mean to offend you.”

Todoroki flashed her an unexpected smile. “Our quirks are unique to us, though not all can benefit us in mundane tasks. You’re quite extraordinary that way,” he replied. “For example-” Leaning forward, Todoroki traced a fingertip over the back on Yaoyorozu’s hand, “you’ll never be without a pen in the written exams.”

Yaoyorozu’s skin tingled where his skin touched hers. “Even I have my limits,” she responded softly. “I can only create so much at a time, or else I’ll use up to many lipids in my body and could end up seriously hurting myself.  Plus, there is only so much information I can recall at a time. If I’m going to become a hero - someone that people can rely on - I have to prioritise the information I absorb. Things that could save someone’s life. Crafting a pen might not be one of those things.”

“Now you’re the one who seems cold,” he observed, noting the arousal of bumps on her arms. Yaoyorozu’s cheeks flushed. She didn’t feel cold, but her body shivered under the warmth of his touch. He dropped his hands onto the bed and leaned forward on cross legs, getting another glimpse of the book laid out before them.

“Maybe we could we should call it a night,” she said. “Tomorrow, let’s study somewhere else. You know, where the desk isn’t crammed behind my bed and there isn’t a noticeable draft.”

Todoroki caught her wrist before she could close the book. “We should finish this chapter first, don’t you think?”

She glanced down at the page. “I guess you’re right.” Shuffling closer to him, Yaoyorozu traced a fingertip across the page, indicating the key information to the passage. Todoroki leaned in with renewed interest, or a very convincing feigned interest, and followed her finger across the paper. A smile tugged at his lips.

“What are you smiling about?” Yaoyorozu asked. Surely not the passage, she thought. A hero’s demise was nothing to be taken lightly, even if it was hypothetical.

“Nothing,” he said. “You’re just exceptionally warm.”

“Wasn’t I cold a second ago?”

He stifled another laugh. “Perhaps I’m not the only one with a fluctuating body temperature.” Yaoyorozu blushed from ear to ear as he leaned his head on her shoulder, stiffening at the gesture. After a moment, she clenched a fist over her chest.

Yeah... maybe you’re right.”

~~~~~

"Have a good night, Todoroki!” Yaoyorozu said as she opened the door. He turned and waved in response.

“You, too. See you at school tomorrow.”

"Okay!” She chuckled weakly as he disappeared down the hall and to the elevators. Yaoyorozu let out a day’s worth of a sigh, closing the door behind her and turning to face her room. Her heart was fluttering and her cheeks were warm, but she couldn’t have expressed why. She was glad to help her fellow classmate with his work, though she felt as though something else had happened. Something she couldn’t quite explain. Perhaps I’m just tired. Maybe getting some rest is what I need.

She quickly changed out of her uniform and into clean pajamas, lying down in her humongous bed to sleep for the night. The room felt a lot bigger without Todoroki there with her.

~~~~~

Todoroki was on his way to his dorm room in the boy’s wing when he was stopped by a voice a little ways down the hall.

“Hey Todoroki!” Midoriya slid up beside him, a big smile on his face. “What are you doing out so late?”

"Yaoyorozu allowed me time to study with her so I wouldn’t be so behind in our lessons,” he answered simply. Midoriya’s smile only widened.

“Midoriya, Todoroki, what are you two doing outside of your rooms? It’s nearly curfew!” Tenya Iida approached them, fixing his glasses. “If Mr. Aizawa catches you out during his rounds, you’ll be in huge trouble.”

“Oh, I was just coming back from the commons space. Todoroki was heading back from Yaoyorozu’s room,” Midoriya said. Iida eyed Todoroki cautiously.

“What?” He finally asked, confused by his staring. Iida cleared his throat.

“What were you two doing up there?” He asked, attempting to sound casual. Todoroki shrugged.

"Studying. What else would we be doing?” Iida lifted his chin, peering down at him through his glasses as they caught the dim lighting in the hall.

“You are respectful of her space, right? He questioned. Todoroki nodded, but Iida rushed on before he could interrupt. “Yaoyorozu allowing you inside of her room is a big thing. Usually the boys and girls don’t visit one another’s wings and rooms. I’d hope you would be respectful with her.”

Todoroki gave him a blank look. “What are you talking about?”

"I think what Iida’s trying to say is don’t try anything you know you shouldn’t,” Midoriya stepped in to clarify. It didn’t make anything any more clear. If anything, it only confused him more. But instead of asking questions, Todoroki nodded in response.

"Of course. I completely respect her. But if you’ll excuse me, I should be heading to my room.” He walked around the two boys, leaving them behind. He could feel Iida’s eyes trained on the back on his head, following him as he made his way to his door. What was his problem?