Easy {4}

“I know you’re thinking no, no, no, no, it is easier said than done, but please let me attest, I know it’s hard. You’re feeling like you’re trapped, but that’s how you react when you cannot see the light, but try and see the light!”

                I laid in bed, staring up at my ceiling as my alarm continued to go off. I finally rolled over and grabbed my phone, shutting the alarm off.

                I sat up, running my hands through my messy hair. I got out of bed and pulled clothes on, brushing my teeth and fixing my hair.

                The sky outside was gray, indicating that it would rain at some point today. It was a dreary mood outside, and it sank my spirits.

                The sound of a drawer downstairs shutting reminded me that my mom was awake. My stomach growled hungrily at the thought of the food she was making for me.

                Wrapping my arms around my stomach, my eyes shot to the flipped over mirror. I shook my head, feeling a little dizzy.

                I straightened up and made my way downstairs to the kitchen. Mom looked up and smiled, and I mentally cursed as my stomach let out more growls at the sight of the food she was stuffing into the brown bag.

                “Do you want breakfast, Nat?” she asked.

                I shook my head, opening the fridge and pulling out an apple. “Nah, I’ll just eat this while I drive,” I said, washing it off and drying it with a paper towel.

                “Okay, but be careful!” she said, handing me the lunch bag.

                “I will. Bye mom,” I said, pulling on my shoes and hurrying out of the house. I pulled out of the driveway and made sure I was out of sight of my house before tossing the apple out of the window, watching as it landed on a random yard.

                My eyes shot to the lunch bag that I had yet to put in my backpack. I forced my eyes to return to the road as I drove.

                “I don’t need it,” I whispered desperately.

                As I neared Claire’s house, I realized that I was going to crack during lunch. I pulled the car into a gas station and grabbed the lunch bag, hopping out.

                I tossed it in the trash and climbed back into my car, pulling out of the gas station. I chewed on my lip nervously as Claire’s house came into sight.

                Would she and Mary try to offer to buy me food? I shook my head, praying I could just make it today. Then tomorrow I would eat something before I got too sick.

                I pulled into Claire’s driveway and she stumbled out and into my car. She yawned and leaned back against the seat as I started driving towards the school.

                “Can you hand me the water bottle out of my bag?” I asked.

                She nodded and bent down, unzipping my backpack. She grabbed the water bottle and I held my hand out for it.

                Her eyes widened. “Nat! Your hands are really shaky! Are you okay?”

                I glanced over and realized that my hand was trembling. “Yea, I’m just really cold. I was going to have a drink and turn the heat in the car up,” I lied. I took the water bottle from her and uncapped it, chugging some of it. I reached over and cranked the heat in my car, despite the fact that it was actually a comfortable temperature.