Easy {2}

The bell rang, ending our lunch period. I got up and followed Claire and Mary out into the hallway.

                “Nat, you’re quieter than usual. Is everything okay?” Claire asked with a frown.

                I forced a smile. “Yea! Sorry, just tired.”

                “Maybe you wouldn’t be so tired if you didn’t come to school so early!” she said.

                “Oh, shut up Claire,” I said, rolling my eyes.

                She laughed and shrugged. “I’m off. Catch you two later!”

                We waved to her as she turned down the hallway her class was in. Mary moved closer to me and offered me a smile.

                “You sure you’re okay?” she asked.

                I nodded at her. “Yea, I’m fine, Mary!”

                “If you say so, Nat,” she said. “I’m see you later. Have fun in English!”

                I gave her a short wave and turned into the English classroom. I took my usual seat towards the back and sank down in my seat a little as the teacher came in.

                The bell rang, announcing the beginning of class. Our teacher, Mrs. Nantz, stepped up to the front of the room, a stack of papers in her arms.

                “Partner up while I pass out the discussion questions. These are due tomorrow, so get started on them now,” she said.

                Kids jumped up to partner with their friends. I mentally sighed and dropped my head, doodling on my notebook. I didn’t really know anyone in this class well enough to partner up with them, so I’d just work on my own again.

                “Hey!”

                I froze, positive that I was just dreaming. I knew that voice, but surely it was directed at someone other than me.

                But no, as I looked up, sure enough, there was Mason, smiling at me. I glanced behind me quick, but there was no one there. He was really talking to me.

                “Uh…hi,” I said nervously.

                He grabbed a chair and sat down across from me, the smile staying on his face. “You’re Nat, right?”

                I nodded. “Y-Yea. I’m Nat.”

                “Well, I’m Mason! Mason Rayne,” he said. His smile grew. “Sorry, I’m probably creeping you out.”

                “No,” I said, fidgeting with the necklace I was wearing.

                “Well, I just thought it was weird that we’ve both been friends with Mary for so long, and we see each other all the time, but we never talk,” he said. “I remembered that we had English together, so I figured it would be a good time to get to know each other! I’ve talked to Claire a little, but never you.”

                “That makes sense,” I said, wishing I was as outgoing and talkative as Mason was. Instead, I was just painfully awkward.

                “Do you have your book with you?” he asked.

                I nodded and pulled out my copy of Frankenstein. We had just started reading it in class. I glanced at Mason as I set the book on my desk. Something about him didn’t really strike me as the reader type. In fact, he kind of seemed like an airhead.