CHAPTER 13: THE CURSE OF DEATH

13. THE CURSE OF DEATH

I totally felt as though I wanted to go home and protect my mom instead. Samson, Daisy, and Job were hurt from the battle, and two Sprounds are left to fight Matilda. How did she hurt three of the most powerful Sprounds? Did she kill a Protector once more and sucked up its power?

Jason was nervous about the downfalls of the Sprounds.

“I have to inform Katie and Zac about it,” he said, preparing to run.

He was waiting for my approval, and when I nodded, he broke into a run to the parking lot now and his steps were as though taking two meters already. I stood frozen in my root while I watched him disappear into the huge crowd. Then, for a moment, a thick, fire-colored cloud emerged from the crowd. All people didn’t seem to notice but—

“What's that?”

“Some kind of fireworks?”

“No! It's not!”

“Awesome!”

The crowd was saying, and I guessed none of them noticed Jason when he phased. All heads looked up—even those who just arrived and the teachers walking along the pathways. There was a minute of pause before the cloud totally vanished from sight. People were now murmuring as though it was the most beautiful thing they had seen.

“I've got a picture and—”

“Uploaded to Facebook!”

“That's totally amazing!”

“But strange!”

The people walked now as though nothing had happened. Chris was running through a group of first-year girls as I turned to the cafeteria. I stayed rooted on my place, waiting him to reach me.

“Hey,” I told him breathlessly, making a what’s-up gesture.

“What happened to Jason?” he said, catching his breath. “He phased? I saw him.” He made a growl in his throat. “Why did he do that? He put Job in danger!”

“What danger?” I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

“If we phase in front of the people, the powers of his master will decreased. Job will get weak and he’s not going to be healed for years. Like the power will be sucked up.”

“What?” I stammered. I didn’t let my words went out of my mouth clearly. “I should’ve stopped him if I know. It’s all my fault.” I looked up in the sky where Jason vanished. “Forgive me—”

“No, Rachel,” he interrupted. “You don’t have to feel sorry for yourself. It’s Jason who’s done it all.”

I met Jared before the end of my P.E. class at the basketball court. He was with Katie, who was now watching the other boys playing inside the court, giving them a very curious look. She looked very innocent in what was happening around her, but she then turned her eyes to me and gazed upon me as if she were beckoning me down. She bowed slightly, and I took that gesture as beckoning.

Jared stepped forward and opened his mouth to talk.

“You better stay home tomorrow,” he whispered, caressing my cheeks with his soft-feeling thumb. “Trust me, Rachel. Katie’s going to protect you.” He looked over his shoulder where Katie stood. “Don’t let anyone let inside your house.”

I was curious in his words. What did he mean? Was this kind of a very strict protection? Why was he protecting me like this, as though something would happen bad to me? I knew one positive thing that I would be in danger. And if it were going to happen, Matilda would be it.