TWO

Perhaps, it was fate's cruel punishment that decided I was to slice my finger upon the pages of the book in my hands that I hadn't yet read.

I should have poured myself into Fitzgerald's pages of words. I should have scoured the book instead of resorting to the movie. I could only hope that once I was to be pulled out of this trance, I could quickly skim and read the book in a nano-second, before the stranger blesses me with his own words—just so I could make sure that this is truely what Gatsby felt when he laid eyes upon Daisy; when he stood in her house, drenched in rain water with a beating, timid heart inside his chest that he would gladly rip out with his gloved hands and pass on to her, wrapped in an expensive, silk handkerchief for safe-keeping... for I would do the same in this suspended trance.

I sat in a breathless rapture and the blood was just beginning to circle my fingertip and stick beneath my nail.

Like a novel, I was engrossed, absorbed, almost lost in a heavy trance or transported to another reality. Professor Ren was like something out of my mother's old poems, where hopeless romantic's had swooned over the many men that she would conjure up in the midst of several lines—a man like him, who was brooding, dark, handsome and captured all of the attention around his body, as if he truely, was the main character.

Just his overall attraction, drew me in like a magnetic field, clinging onto me like he had a vice-like grip on my mind, but when he eventually spoke out to the class, this twisted reality began to distort around him, challenging the mundane facts of my existence and bringing me into a new turbulent realm, where I indeed always was: a lousy classroom that I seemed to bury myself into the rows of nonchalant faces.

His deep voice, boomed across my grey skies, lightening up my surroundings and almost giving me a reason to jot down just how it sounded incase I needed to recall it another day. With rich, brown eyes, the Professor surveyed the room casually and even gave a small, sideways smirk after his next words.

"Good morning class," he said, leaning up from his place on the table to draw a long line beneath his name in chalk. "It seems that your previous Professor, has fallen ill and won't be able to teach for a while, so in the meantime... I am Professor Ren, and I will be continuing this course in his place."

His voice was like nothing I had ever heard before. It sounded like a drum, but deeper, or like a low bass, but still, deeper. It was smooth, like silk but somehow, rough like sand. His tone was as deep as the sun at midnight and surely, with that tone, I won't be failing this class anymore for I could listen to his voice all day. Professor Ren had a tone that sunk into my chest, whilst somehow also wrapping around my inner soul. With his loud, deep and heavy words, it vibrated with power and command throughout me, and yet... he hadn't even responded to the many questions that the student's had all called out to him; regarding Mr. Roy.

I sat quietly in my seat, sucking in a cold breath when he walked in front of Rachel's table–which was only a few feet away from mine–and God, he was tall. Professor Ren, swiped a large hand in the air, as if to silence the class and the scowl on his features, was enough to stop some, but not all.

"Quiet!" he had shouted above the buzz, "Quiet!"

It was a voice filled with authority as my grounds seemed to metaphorically, shake like a storm. I swallowed roughly and flickered my gaze back onto the book in front of me to settle the beat of my erratic, nervous heart. Blood was staining the sides of the pages. I rolled my eyes and silently sucked on my index finger to rid the crimson.

Fuck, I was lost with just his flicker of a gaze that laid upon me for a split second, slowing time into a stretched out continuum that even made the blood in my veins pause for a second, before he tore it into shreds as he looked away and spoke once more.