Chapter 3

PART TWOCHAPTER 3

Will shook his hands to try and keep some feeling in them. It was frigid ass cold. His breath escaped into the air like a billowing cloud of smoke. Reminding him that it was below freezing and he was only in his shirt and suit coat.

His friends Ricky and Rachelle had tied the knot just a few hours previously. Will smiled. It was clear as day that the two had the hots for each other, and it had been for years. They had just been too stubborn to see it.

Rachelle insisted on getting married at Christmastime. And so all of their friends and family had traipsed up to the mountain lodge for the nuptials.

But Will had pressing work responsibilities in the morning and had to get back to the city. So he had left everyone drinking and dancing inside of the warm lodge to get back only to find ice on the roads.

He had slid off about five miles down the road, and couldn't get unstuck. Will contemplated staying with the car, but as the cold seeped in, he knew that he needed to get back to the lodge.

Now, two miles in, his hands were burning with what had to be hypothermia, and he wasn't even halfway to his destination. Sighing, he trudged onward, shoving his hands as deeply as he could into his pocket.

His black Italian leather shoes were beyond saving. He just hoped his pinky toes were not in the same predicament. Life had a way of knocking you on your ass and making you humble.

When he was driving up to the wedding, he had spied a small cabin set back off the road. Inwardly he scoffed at the individuals that would choose this type of isolation. But as that same cabin came into view, Will had never been more grateful to see the warm glow of lights in the windows.

He sped up the last few steps until he was able to climb the stairs of the porch. Knocking, he waited and prayed that someone was home. There was a rustling inside.

"Yes?"

The muffled voice of a woman came through the door.

"Excuse me," Will cleared his throat, "I am sorry to bother you. My car slid off the road a few miles back, and I don't have any cell service up here in the mountains. Do you have a phone line that I could borrow?"

Tiny flakes in every shape began falling from the sky. Of course, it would be snowing, that only made it seem colder to Will.

"I am without a coat and gloves," Will added, hoping that the woman would take pity on him.

Slowly he heard the locks being undone. As the door opened, Will could feel the whispers of warmth steal out from inside of the cabin.

"Thank you," he said heartily. "You very well may have saved me."

He trailed off as for the first time he got a good look at the woman standing just inside the door.

He wasn't sure what he had expected. Perhaps someone in their late fifties at the youngest.

She had dark blond hair that was pulled into a messy bun. Her face was devoid of makeup except for what appeared to be lip gloss. Will was dying to know what flavor.

She wore old yoga pants and an open flannel shirt over a tank top. Her feet were bare except for the turquoise nail polish.

He was in trouble.

"Come in," her melodic voice had his frozen dick stirring to life.

"Thank you," he murmured as he walked into the cozy living room. She had a roaring fire blazing in the hearth, and he automatically walked over to stand in front of it.

She smiled, and it was as if the sun was shining at mid-day.

Shit, he really was in trouble.

"The phone is in the kitchen," her eyes twinkled, "But you are welcome to warm yourself up before you use it."

He turned once again to thank her, "I honestly do not know if I could have made it all the way back to the lodge. My name is Will, by the way. William Shores actually, but my friends call me Will."

She stuck out a small hand, the moment their skin touched heat raced up his arms.