Chapter 5: Broken Hearts and Make Ups

I smiled as I texted Carter.

Carter: Hey baby

Me: Hey

Carter: Wanna go out tonight?

Me: Yeah, sure. Where?

Carter: The Garden, that little cafe by your house?

Me: never been. Is it good.

Carter: Yeah. So I'll pick you up in a half hour?

Me: Yeah. Love you.

Carter: You too, baby

I turn off my phone and skip down the stairs. I had been dating Carter for almost a month now. But for that whole month, my relationship with Jacob had been slowly dropping. We were civil to each other, but with him at football practice and me dating Carter we hadn't been together for that long. He stayed out of my way and I stayed out of his. I had no problem with it, and I was pretty sure that he didn't either. And Seth didn't notice or care anymore than we did with his new schedule. He was gone by 7 at night and came back around 2 in the morning. He came home with groceries and then napped before going back to work. Most of the time I was alone at home with Seth at work and Jacob at practice. I should have been happy that I had an amazing boyfriend, a warm house, and I was away from Jacob, but I didn't feel happy. I felt......

Empty.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Carter, but I felt like everything was wrong. It was messed up. It was just not how it should have been. The only time that we all sat together was during football games. The season had just recently started, so every night there was a game Jacob and I sat in the t.v room to watch it. We didn't speak at all, except for 'can you pass the popcorn' or 'where'd the remote go?' Some nights if Seth was home he would watch it with us. But I was lonely still. 

I was alone at home so I knew that there was no problem with me leaving. I changed into a flowy lace top and some skinny jeans. I wrote a quick note to Seth and left it on the counter:

Hey Seth. Went out with Carter. See you later. 

Sofia

Seth had never met Carter, but I had told him about him. He seemed relieved that I had finally gotten over Jacob. And I had truthfully. I still remembered his handsome eyes and cheeky smiles. But I didn't get dizzy or cry anymore. I was a new person. 

-------

Carter stood in front of the door looking adorable as usual in a white t-shirt, jeans, and a black jacket. 

"Hey," he said, wrapping his arms around my waist. He pulled me outside and planted a kiss on my lips. I smiled against them before pulling away. He gave me a confused expression.

"I have to get my bracelet," I said. "I'll be right back."

Carter took a seat as I ran upstairs to my vanity table. I grabbed my silver bracelet with the little S charm on it and clipped it on my wrist. I quickly grabbed my purse from the foyer before walking back to Carter. He was sitting on the couch, texting on his cell phone. When he saw me she stood up. 

"Shall we?" he asked me, holding out his hand. I put my hand in his as we walked out the door.

-------

"No way!" I exclaimed as Carter continued. 

"Yes, way! He totally did!" he said, bursting out in laughter. 

I begin laughing too and in mere minutes we are both laughing hysterically. Suddenly the waiter approached with our food. I calmed down when the steaming plates of pasta were placed in front of us. But Carter did not. He brought his head forwards and knocked my plate of pasta straight off the table.