Chapter-7

Two weeks had passed since that disastrous date. After the first few hours of being distant and cold, Chad had again become his usual eager-to-please puppy-dog-like self. I had tried to bring up the prospect of ending this supposed-to-be relationship but his genuine sweetness convinced me otherwise. He was just so...nice.

"Yes, he is. However, you're going to break his heart soon."

"So what?!"

"Don't lead him on, you bitch!"

My mind had become more or less of a battlefield where Angel Chey and Devil Chey constantly counter-argued with each other. I had even started to imagine the two of them sitting on my shoulders. Angel Chey clad in a shining white floor-length puffy gown with a long train perched on my right shoulder whereas Devil Chey made herself comfortable on the left one in a leather black crop-top, blazing fiery red trousers and horns and stilettos of the same shade. My head had started to ache horribly after the constant bickering going on in my mind.

Meanwhile Jordan had started keeping strangely to himself. He rarely talked to me, or even his friends, for that matter. Kaitlyn relentlessly tried to get noticed by him but he didn't pay any attention. There was a rumor going on that his mother wasn’t keeping well lately and I knew he was really close to his Mom, but you could never be too sure about the accuracy of random high school gossip.  The only place where he became himself again was the basketball court: just him and his game. He played with such graceful intensity that it seemed he was dancing, and not ruggedly playing, with the ball. I could see immense happiness and joy in his eyes when he played as if that was all he wanted from life. Well, at least there was something he was serious about. I remember myself often tiptoeing in the court, hiding behind the entrance gates like a seven year old, sneaking discreet glances at his muscular physique that always had me swooning over, and making sure he doesn't notice me under any circumstances for that would have been painfully humiliating.

He did notice though, much to my embarrassment. For, once, we bumped into each other in a hallway, right after his practice. I dropped my bag due to the sudden collision, its contents scattering all around the tiled floor. His eyes had a knowing glint in them. He didn't say anything, probably because the slight tension that still existed between us, but I just knew. As Cecelia Ahern said in one of her novels, sometimes you can just know something without really knowing it. Moreover, his expressive eyes and that cocky little smirk I had grown so accustomed to by then were a definite giveaway. He was still in his basketball jersey, his face glistening with sweat and a towel around his neck. A few drops of sweat trickled down his neck and disappeared inside the jersey, leaving behind small secretive streams that made me have this sudden tempting urge to sneak a peek at his sculpted chest.

"Um, sorry..." I mumbled as I tried to stop ogling at his well-defined torso and bent down to pick up my belongings.

"No problem, Cheyenne." he replied, calling me 'Cheyenne' and not 'Campbell', as he too bent beside me to help.

I quickly grabbed my stuff, avoiding eye contact with him, as both of us clambered on our knees. He handed me my copy of The Pride and Prejudice after pausing to look at it for a few seconds, undoubtedly thinking about our detention, just like I was. His proud declaration in the class. The sweet torment of those faint bruises. Him returning my charm bracelet with a special addition of his own. The memories seemed distant, almost ancient to say the least, when in reality they had taken place only a few weeks ago. I stood up, stuffing my things in the black messenger bag as quickly as possible. My charm bracelet jingled because of the sudden movements of my hand. I turned to leave.

"Hey, Chey?" his voice came from behind.

My heart skipped a beat when he said 'Chey'. I slowly turned around, red already creeping up my cheeks as my name sounded so blissfully beautiful and just right when spoken by him.