Chapter-5

I walked alone down the street that lead back to the mansion. (I never ever referred to it as 'my home' because...well, because it wasn't. I was the kind of a teenager who was constantly in a combat with their parents. No, let me rephrase. I was in a constant combat with my Mom as Dad was always touring abroad, being the business tycoon he is. Anyway, so the mansion was simply a huge lavish architecturally perfect structure where I often went for dinner and sleep.)

It was nearly half past three in the morning. My head pounded like anything and my feet hurt. With my brown hair all disheveled and my wedges in my hand, I practically crawled down that isolated road, too tired and lost in thoughts to walk any faster. A lone car or two passed by me and I tried to somehow conceal myself from them, having watched enough crime shows relating to late night kidnappings on the idiot box. Anyway, getting back to the previous night which had been a strange one. Chad had tried to kiss me but I had winced away at the last moment, much to Jordan's amusement and Chad's annoyance. Ellie had nearly kicked my butt when she heard about me and Chad while Astrid had stayed strangely quiet all the time. As for Jordan, he had been his usual cocky self, not even pretending to be guilty about kissing that fake blonde. Amazing. After two hours of avoiding Jordan and Chad, I had finally sneaked out at three in the morning without telling anyone.

Soon, the mansion came into my view. Considering the time, the sound of the gigantic electric gates and my mother's obsession about their social 'sophisticated and elite' image, I decided to crash at my neighbor's place.

Ethan Johannson: 5'8", tanned with a slim built, jet-black crew-cut hair with friendly hazel eyes and my childhood best buddy. Perfect guy-friend material. Even though he went to a different school, we were really close and he was almost like family since we had grown up together and all that jazz. Many people often mistook us to be a couple since we were so fond of each other. However for the first time, my life had defied a cliché and we were nothing more than best friends. Completely platonic. The thought of anything romantic between us totally grossed us out and so we were happy being the way we were. Slightly relieved at the thought of confiding in Ethan, I made my way towards his place.

The security guard knew me as a common visitor and let me in without much question.

I debated on whether I should ring the doorbell at this unconventional time or not. Instead, I called him up.

"H'lo?" his sleepy voice answered just as the call was about to disconnect.

"Um, Ethan? It's me." I replied hoarsely, shivering from the cold.

"Chey? Sup? Is everything okay?" I could hear him sitting up.

"Um, yeah, sort of, I mean..." I trailed off, not wanting to reveal much.

I knew he would disapprove of my latest doing.

"Come on, what is it? Shall I come over?" he asked, still concerned.

"Actually Ethan, I'm standing in front of your house right now. It's pretty late and I was wondering if I could spend the night." I answered meekly.

"Wait, what? Why didn't you say before? Wait right there. I'm coming." I could visualize him getting up, putting on his favorite black hoodie and grabbing one for me too.

I disconnected the call and leaned on a wall beside me, my wedges still dangling from one of my hands.

Ethan appeared after a minute or two and sure enough, he had a spare red hoodie for me. I smiled.

"Now come inside and tell me what you messed up." he said, grinning, as he helped me put on the zip-up hoodie.

I scowled at him playfully.