Chapter-2

I stepped out of my ride in front of the boring white and blue building and ignored the admiring stares of my fellow schoolmates. I smiled, being the pretentious human being I was back then. The girls wanted to be like me while the guys wanted to be with me.

"Except Jordan, that is." my inner voice suddenly replied, making my smile alter for a moment.

As if on cue, I spotted him standing nearby with the rest of his jock buddies, laughing at something animatedly and making my heart race.

"Hey! Look who's here. I missed you, love." a perky voice reached my ears as someone enveloped me into a hug, interrupting my Jordan-reverie.

Astrid Anderson: petite, tanned, brown bed-head wavy hair with friendly eyes of the same shade, a bundle of energy, one of my best friends and also a girl Jordan was somewhat smitten with.

"Hey, Astrid." I replied, still looking at Jordan discreetly.

"Okay, just stop doing that."

"Doing what?"

"Staring at that lying, flirting, irritating moron so shamelessly."

Did I mention Jordan's infatuation was only one-sided?

"Don't call him that." I answered defiantly, finally turning my gaze away from him with reluctance.

"What, are you kidding me? Both of us know it's the truth." Astrid claimed, a bit surprised at my defensive response.

"The only thing I know is that I like him and that I want him and that I will get him."

"Ugh! Guys like him make me want to become a homosexual."

"Astrid!"

"And you'll be my hot homo girlfriend, okay?"

"You wish!"

We kept bantering as I linked arms with her and walked inside the school.

I couldn't help noticing Jordan staring at our direction meanwhile. The only thing I was confused about was whether he was looking at me or my best friend. Boys!

* * *

"By the way, Jake was asking about you." Astrid informed me as I rummaged through my locker.

Jake Wilson: 5'7", tanned, slim-built with a black mop of hair and Astrid's close friend who had been crushing on me since quite a while now.

"What's new in that?" I mumbled.

"Exactly!" Eleanor, my other best friend, exclaimed, "The guy is obsessed!"

Eleanor Evans: tall, slim, pale-complexioned with voluminous dark brown curls and intelligent observant eyes with a constant glimmer in them, my childhood best friend and a complete opposite of Astrid. She was much more mature and didn't believe in acting before thinking like the latter did.

They were totally in contrast.

"I agree with Ellie on this one." I mumbled again, still exploring my locker and reeling on the verge of frustration as I couldn’t find my copy of The Sense and Sensibility—the novel we were doing in our English class that semester.

"What does she know? She doesn't even talk to Jake, like, ever." Astrid replied, annoyed.

Okay, did I also mention my two best friends weren't exactly big fans of each other too? However, it was all good natured and hence, their colorful arguments often cheered me up. (Weird, I know, but get used to it.)

"Um, maybe because he isn't worth talking to?" Ellie commented, rolling her eyes.

"Like, judgmental much?"