Nails On A Coffin

A/N:

Sorry for the long wait everyone. My days are cut short now, way short. So I use the spare time I have to write at lunch and a little after work. Also thanks to all those who reviewed and messaged! You’ll made my day, the previous chapter was one of my highest rated and reviewed from various websites. So please keep it up! This whole chapter is Shawn’s POV.

P.S. Hidi75, sorry! Took me forever, but I’ll make it up to ya!

Chapter 22: Nails on a coffin.

Shawn POV

She wasn’t answering. I stared blankly at my phone. I called Cass three times and left her several text messages. I strolled down my contacts and pressed on Buzz’ name. It rang several times before going to voicemail. Something’s not right, Buzz wasn’t answering, he always answered.

I stood up from the couch, dad and Gus garnering me with quizzical looks. “Something’s not right, Cass isn’t picking up.” I said worriedly, placing my phone in my back pocket.

“Who knows Shawn, she’s probably still upset from that little ‘squabble’ you two had earlier.” He scoffed taking another sip of his beer.

“Your dad has a point Shawn. What you said to her was cruel. She probably just wants a little time to herself. Besides Buzz is with her, everything’s fine.” Gus reassured.

I shook my head and grabbed Gus’ keys from the coffee table and darted for the front door. “No, he’s not answering either. Something’s wrong. I need to see if she’s okay for myself.”

 “Shawn!” They both yelled in unison.

I heard the screen door open and quickly slam behind me. “Damn it Shawn, get back here.” Dad commanded and grabbed me by my arm turning me around to look at him. I groaned and threw my head back in frustration. “Now you listen, you were ordered to stay here. You’ll be a sitting duck if you go out there right now. We’ll call Lassiter and Juliet, just do what you’re told for once and stay here.”

I pulled myself free from his grip and rushed back to the blueberry. He followed, still angry. “Dad, since when do I respond so well to authority? You should know me by now. My first instinctive response is to always do the complete opposite.” I argued, opening the driver’s side door.

I stepped into the blueberry and turned on the ignition and looked up to my dad’s agitated face. “Tell Kinsley I’m ‘sensing’ something’s wrong, and to send a squad car to check it out.” I said before slamming the car door and speeding off to Cass’.

~PSYCH~

When I pulled into the driveway I noticed a squad car was parked across the street. I stepped out of the car and jogged over to the parked unit. I immediately stopped dead in my tracks. A bullet hole was noticeable in the driver’s window. I swallowed the lump in my throat and cautiously walked over. A small gasp escaped my lips. Officer Johnson was slumped over to the right, a bullet hole noticeable in his skull. He was dead.

No, no, no!

I sprinted towards the front door, only for it to be locked. Muttering a curse I ran around to the side of the house where the kitchen door was located. The door was open. I quietly pushed opened the door and shut it behind me, careful not to make any noise. My eyes fell immediately on the body lying on the floor, the sight making my chest constrict painfully. “Buzz.” I whispered, and knelt down immediately checking for a pulse.

His eyes opened slowly at the sound of my voice. “I’m sorry Shawn.” He murmured. “I couldn’t protect her.”

“It’s okay buddy.” I whispered trying to assure him. I quickly grabbed a towel off the counter and grabbed one of his hands bringing it up to his neck to apply pressure on the nickel size wound on his neck. “Hey, you hang on. There’s help on the way.”