Familiar Face (Revised)

Chapter 2: Familiar Face

"Spoken" Thought/Flashback/Dream Writing

“Mom, why aren’t you married?” The curious little girl asked. 

Suddenly my spot on the couch wasn’t so comfy anymore. I lost count how many times Hailey had asked me this question. “Because, I have yet to meet the man of my dreams.” I said flatly, as I averted my eyes from the book I’ve been reading and glanced over to her.

I knew where she was going with this. I could read this kid like the back of my hand. “Tell me about daddy?” She asked.

And so began the game of twenty questions. I let out an aggravated sigh and snapped my book shut. “Tell me what he was like. Was he funny, smart and handsome? I bet he was wasn’t he? I think that’s where I get my good looks from huh?”

I stared at this child dumbfounded. This kid thought she inherited her good looks from her father? I couldn’t contain the laughter that escaped my lips. I gave her a light swat from my book and stood up from the couch and made my way into the kitchen to begin dinner, but stopped briefly to give her another glance.

“Hailey, we’ve gone through this hundreds of times before sweetheart. Now is just not a good time.” I said.

“That’s always your answer mom. Please, just a little. I promise I won’t ask again, I swear.” She pleaded.

That was a lie. Every time I would tell her a little something about him she would beg for more or would bring the topic back up just like she did today.

“Alright, fine Hailey.” I said agitated and sat back down on the couch. Her face lit up as she made herself comfortable waiting for me to begin.

“I’m waiting.” She sang out.

I couldn't help my childish behavior, so I stuck my tongue out at her. “Your dad was something else. He had a way with words that’s for sure. Yes, he was funny and would love to crack jokes all the time. He definitely knew how to put a smile on my face. He was handsome, very handsome. And just for the record, you did not get your looks from him, that’s all me kid. As for his intelligence...we’ll just leave it at that.” I giggled and stood back up from the couch making my way back into the kitchen.

She quickly jumped off the couch and grabbed my hand. “That’s it!” She cried, pursing her lips.

“Yep, that’s it baby girl.” I laughed.

~PSYCH~

 My eyes snapped open at the sound of my alarm going off. I reached over to the night stand slammed the alarm off. I sat up and threw the covers off me. Those dreams keep occurring more often. I stretched and got out of bed made my way to the bathroom to get ready for my job interview at the S.B.P.D.

After I finished getting ready, I made my way downstairs and started breakfast. I made Hailey’s favorite; Pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon. I sat down at the table and stared at the plate for what it seemed like an eternity.

Sighing, I pushed it away from me. I was disgusted, I hated breakfast now, I honestly didn’t know why I kept making it, but I’ve kept doing it every day since Hailey passed away. The psychologist said it was a way for me to cope with the loss of Hailey, but what did I know.

Since Hailey’s murder I was ordered to see a therapist if I was to continue working. And when that didn’t work out, I would transfer to another department. It was all the same, everywhere I worked, they would tell me the same thing over and over. I was honestly tired of dealing with shrinks. There was nothing to talk about. I just wanted to be left alone so I could handle the problem on my own.