twenty-sixth

"That's alright with me."

Kala slowly zipped the rim of her suitcase closed with a false smile. She met her parents eyes with hope that they couldn't see how badly she wanted to cry.

"We're so proud of you baby girl." Mrs. Tally sniffled pulled Kala into a choking hug.

"Mom I'm going to college, its not a huge deal." She mumbled as her mother released her.

"Harold's here." Mr. Tally said walking over from the window and grabbing her suitcase.

Kala sighed an okay and followed them downstairs. She could hear the sound of his car parking out front and her hands felt numb. Her parents rushed outside to greet him and left her standing in the foyer; alone for the first time since she woke that morning.

She found her face in the mirror on the wall. Purple bags hid under layers of concealer from her sleepless nights. Her curls were pushed into a tight bun to hid the knots and streaks of paint from Celsie's party the other night. The whites of her eyes sparked barely red from hours of tears. Everything about her face was sad and missing something. 

"Kala! It's time for you to go." Her mother called opening the front door next to her.

She looked in the mirror one last time and ran out the door. Everything from the goodbyes to packing the car to driving down the road was a blur. Only tears and focused breathing were in her mind. Only he was in her mind.

And as she sat in a parking lot as Harold was getting some food for the road, it happened. Kala looked up at a pickup truck across the row and there he was. Laughing among friends. His smile brought a smile to her cold lips. Then in a whirl he met her hurting eyes and she felt real again. The smile left his pretty mouth and she jumped from the truck bed just as a hand landed on Kala's shoulder. 

"Kala..Kala..honey are you okay? Kala sweetie answer me." Harold chimed trying to break through her now teary gaze. 

He was walking over towards her. She wanted to touch him. Smell his comfort and kiss his smile. But instead she nodded to Harold.

"Let's go." She said softly and they began pulling out.

He stopped walking and stood in disbelief. Something of pain and confusion in his eyes. Tears fell down Kala's cheeks as she didn't leave his eyes until they were miles away. Finally she looked back towards the highway. This was her fault she fell in love with this stupid boy in the first place. It only hurt like this cause she knew what was missing. It was him. He was missing.

It was Ashton.