Bite the Bullet Chp4

Warning: This chapter contains violence. Everything in this story is my imagination. If there are any sort of grammar mistakes I apologize, the reason is that English is not my first language. Although I am trying my best to edit this story.

__________________________________________________________

In life sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons!

He stood there, barrel of his gun pointed at me. I glared back at the large man who just like me was coated in grime and blood. Dread glimmered in his blue eyes. A deep miserable cut was drawn on the side of his cheek, which started from his cheekbone and disappeared in his thick beard.

I caught a glimpse of my death in his eyes, which made me swallow the lump that kindled my throat. My finger rested on the trigger but valor wasn't tough enough to pull the damn thing and get it over with. He yelled then pulled the trigger of his rifle. I merely stood there, waiting for the pain to greet me and for darkness to engulf me. 

But it did not.

My eyes shot open to see that my enemy was out of bullets!

An inner voice howled within, so forceful and distraught that it jerked me out of my trance. Its intensity yanked me back to the blazing of guns. I was petrified at the same time I was livid. My opponent instantly tugged out his pistol to fire at me and that's when it happened. That's when my quivering finger pulled the trigger. Seconds later his body fell benumb on the grass.

He was the first man I killed.

**

It has been three horrendous and burdensome weeks since we came here to this city 'Empana'. My team patrolled day and night, under the sweltering sun. We felt exhausted, mentally knackered after twenty-one days of constant wretchedness. We'd take any opportunity we got to rest under a merciful tree or just the generous sky.

It commenced the very first day we set foot here, the 'killing'. We were ambushed by the enemies after only five hours of our arrival. Zach, the team leader was swift and quick-witted enough to assemble his men behind a shop and act. It wasn't uncomplicated, the enemy was many compared to our team. But still, luck was with us. We had annihilated many of those who desired to slaughter innocents, and trust me it isn't pleasant, killing a human is not pleasant. We remember the face of every man we kill and sometimes those faces are the ground behind our night terrors.

Every night we would get rest for about three or two hours, during which two comrades of the squad would stay up, alert, and look out for peril. Those hours were grievous, every second was utter depression and distress. There were times when none of us vocalized words, we would just scrub our guns, reload them and ponder. Think about anything but death.

**

End of the third week

Day: Friday

Time: 14:30

"What do you see?" Zach's voice sounded in my ear through the listening device.

I lay on my abdomen on the roof of a house, that faced directly a room in the enormous house opposite this one. I peered through the eyepiece of my rifle. We were apprised that there were hostages held in that house for over three days now and we had to rescue them without raising any alarm. They hadn't provided us with information on the number of hostages and the captors.

Zach had commanded me to get on the roof and study the scene then report back to him as soon as possible. The rest of my squad stayed behind, encompassing the building where the enemy held a few guiltless captives, waiting to charge.