Bite the Bullet Chp13

Warning: Everything in this chapter is my imagination. Thank you so much to all the readers. The readers who comment and vote, the readers who just vote and of course the silent readers.

Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT.

________________________________________________________

♡  On thy grave the rain shall fall from the eyes of a mighty nation!♡

I scowled deeply when my eyes fell upon my fingers. Holy shit! The tips of my fingers were pink and the rest was pale as the blood started to freeze in my veins. I exhaled, looking at my breath turn into small puffs in the cold winter air. I clicked my lips and they almost turned into ice. Ignoring it, I slung my rifle over my shoulder and rubbed my hands together.

Standing far away from the fire, I once again looked around. It was Dusk and the light was fading away quickly. We had heard from the Base that the medical team was on their way but it was taking them too long for my liking. I was hungry, tired, cold freaking cold and worried to death. No, not for my death, but for the people around me. It's been a while since I feared for myself and today saw no change to that.

I have seen death many times and got lucky every time. Guess I had prayers with me or death was too busy to take me yet. I knew if today something were to happen I wouldn't hesitate for a second before throwing myself to shield the others. I was feeling the rush and excitement of this mission, even though the cold was literally making me turn into ice.

 I kept my distance from the patients for a specific reason. I can't bring Avalina into my thoughts when I am working so I let my man Hassan do it. He was worried but brave and very good at what he did. We both made sure to give everyone whatever the hell they demanded, even though half of which we didn't have. They were scared I could see that and now even Fiona was beginning to bite her lip with those small eyes filled with explainable fear.

Seconds ticked, the tension getting heavier. That's when my sharp hearing caught a movement behind the people who sat around the burning woods. The voice of leaves crunching was loud, everyone was dead silent. I drew my rifle, eyes focused and finger on trigger. Ready to put whoever it was in a deep sleep. My steps were slow but filled with caution. Adrenaline pumped in my veins and anger started to rise.

I took a quick glance at Hassan who was copying my moves but not moving from his place, which was next to the doctors. With every step I took I was getting nearer to the place where the sound came from. Stopping a feet away from the large bush in front of me, I realized something was wrong. I could feel it, feel everything; the fear radiating from the people behind me and the person hiding just behind the tree, with his back towards us. I was't sure who he was: a bastard or someone we should be protecting. So I stilled my movements, waiting for the man to make a move.

Swiftly I slung my rifle over my shoulder then I raised my right hand and gestured for Hassan. Making a pistol with my fingers then resting my left palm on the back of my right hand to let him know we have an 'enemy'. Then showing him my thumb to let him know that our enemy is a male and lastly I raised my index finger and moved it in circles and cupped my hand in the air for him to know I would need his help if things got out of control. And I would need his help fast.

If I pull the trigger I could attract many of those bastards here which would be welcoming my death to a tea party. Not to mention the piercing sound of fire would terrify everyone, so I had to go the other way. The close combat that I was trained specially for these reasons to do.

I reached for the sheath on my right calf and pulled out my black army knife, perfect. I advanced like a lion stalking the deer, not making any sound. Every step I took was silent as though walking on clouds instead of sticky forest ground. My heart started to beat faster as I got nearer the tree. Things had to happen between seconds, more than that and I could get into trouble. He can run, or worse, turn to fire at me.

My hands were not sweating because it wasn't the first time I was doing this, but I was anxious. Things could go wrong and there might be more than just a man. Standing directly behind him, with only the tree separating us, I inhaled silently, wrapped the cloak of courage and then it happened.

My hands worked faster than I thought, with the knife in a 'hammer grip' in my right hand. My left hand grabbed his forehead and pushed his head in the tree, preventing him to move. But this guy was huge and he was certainly making it a whole hell of a lot harder to restrain him He panicked and grabbed my hand on his forehead, which gave me an opening. Quickly like a lighting blot I brought the blade of my black knife near his throat and slit it open. I couldn't see but I knew I was done, as warm liquid drenched my hands. I let him go and walked around the tree to see him slumped over, the blood pouring from his neck.

I bent down and lowered his bandanna which was the proof for me that he was not one I should be protecting. It was their sign, a bandanna hiding their vicious faces. The man seemed in his late thirties. I stared in his eyes till they closed on their own. Looking down at my hands to see his blood on them I smirked, well at least they are warm now.

Cleaning the blade with his bandanna, I made my way back to the people who waited for me and was startled to see Avalina jump to her feet and rush toward me. "Blade, you're bleeding," she gasped and I smiled. Her terrified eyes stared at me in disbelief thinking. I might have lost my brain. I shook my head.

"It's not my blood," was my reply as I cleaned my hands on my combat pants and my eyes narrowed at realization that she called me by my name. My stomach did a flip but it felt good. I looked up to see Hassan standing next to her and noticed how Avalina flinched.

"Threat down," I informed him.

"We have to sky out," he spat angrily.

"As soon as the team is here," He gave a nod and walked away. I knew he had to report this back at the Base.

 "Are you okay?" I asked Avalina, while she patted her enchanting eyes at me.

"You are the one with blood on hands and you are asking me if I am okay," she mocked and I chuckled. Yes, I did.

"Yes, I guess I am asking you," I replied and let my eyes look around for Fiona. Thankfully I found her quickly and saw that she was trying to stop a young boy from crying. That's when I heard a vehicle approaching and reflexively my body stood like a shield in front of Avalina. I looked at the source of the sound then I sighed in relief. The medical team had arrived at last.

"They are here." I looked over my shoulder down at her, Avalina nodded and turned to grab the packed stuff.

 **