// C H A P T E R F I F T E E N //

Lacey couldn’t move. It was as if that simple statement of just seven words had paralyzed her. Nothing around her seemed real anymore: not the tons of fans whispering about Matty’s dramatic exit, not the interviewer who rushed to get off air quickly after what had happened and certainly not Ella who kept talking to her asking if she was okay. Because the fact was, she simply wasn’t. Of course, she had known Matty and her weren’t official yet, but she had thought that after the night they had shared – full of love, passion and promises – that he would at least consider her more than someone he has chemistry with, someone he ‘got along’ with. She couldn’t believe how naïve she had been thinking that what they shared with each other went over the level of physical attraction, that Matty actually liked her and not just wanted her. For him it was all probably just a game. Give in and pull back, give in and pull back – just enough to keep her around, but not enough to actually make her stay. Thinking back to the night before, she realized something she seemingly had missed during the bliss of being with him. While she had been willing to give her all to him, to give him something that he could never give back – he hadn’t said anything that could speak for his commitment to her. In fact, Lacey was sure now that he had not once mentioned that he liked her or that he was falling for her in the slightest way. The only words that came off of his lips concerned her beauty, her body, her attitude and while that might have made her feel as if she was the only one for him in those particular moments, it made her feel incredibly empty realizing that she probably was only one of many he had said that to.

Lacey shook her head at her own self. How could she have blamed herself for falling for his tricks? It wasn’t as if she could have known the type of man he would turn out to be. Someone who picked you up for his own pleasure and entertainment and then threw you away in front of national television with no way to defend yourself or comment on the story. If this whole thing had shown her one thing it was that she should trust her instincts when it came to men. From the moment she had seen Matty, she had thought of him as being trouble and while that idea had once excited her, she now knew it was better to stay away from it.

Knowing what she had to do, she turned to Ella, “Ella, we need to go back to London.”

Clearly taken aback by Lacey’s sudden statement after moments of complete silence, she furrowed her eyebrows, “What?! We can’t just leave. If you remember, we’ve only got the van as form of transportation and I don’t think the guys would be too happy about us stealing it.”

“Did you just hear what he said?!” Lacey looked at her incredulously, “He basically told me off on national television, I don’t think I need to stay around any longer than this.”

“He just said that he didn’t want to put a label on your relationship, what’s so bad about that? It’s not like he said he didn’t like you or anything.” Ella rolled her eyes.

Lacey’s mouth dropped open, “You’re kidding me right?!” She laughed sarcastically, “He said he didn’t want to put a label on a ‘connection’ with someone with whom he got along with. Got along! That is not an appropriate way to talk about what we have! I get along with my ex-boyfriend’s girlfriends, with my uncle who I’ve met twice in my life, with our suite mates who constantly eat or food – I get along with them! I do not ‘get along’ with someone I just spent a night with talking about each other’s dreams and hopes. I do not ‘get along’ with someone whose naked body was pressed against mine and I certainly do not ‘get along’ with someone who was willing to give their everything to you, no matter if you actually took it or not.”

Ella shook her head, seemingly surprised by her sudden outburst, “I’m sorry, Lacey. I didn’t know you were so into him.” She bit her lip and looked down, “Honestly though? I think you understood him the wrong way. I honestly think that that whole scene was about him not wanting to settle down with anyone right now, not that he doesn’t like you.”