Avengers, then blackout or, Aves is afraid of the dark.

(Aves pov)

Thor's announcement has caused profound chaos since he said it 36 hours ago. The Helicarrier was landed and put to sea an hour by boat from Manhattan. One by one, the Avengers have trickled in, I haven't met them, Clint thought it would be best to explain to them before introducing me.

I now have a room in the wing with the others. There is a communal kitchen, living room, and conference room. Our personal bedrooms form an L around the communal areas. Each has a bathroom with a shower, a desk with a computer, and a twin bed. Not exactly five star, but sufficient.

Muted voices grow steadily louder as a group of people advance down the corridor. Yawning, I rub my eyes and stretch. I've been playing minecraft for the past six hours, I've built the Manhattan skyline, a pyramid, and a giant sculpture of myself shooting a creeper.

I pull my messy hair into a ponytail, and straighten my purple sleeveless shirt. I tried to dress nicely today. I turn the computer off, and strain my ears to hear the conversation.

"Ugh, they expect me to use this room? My closet is bigger than this!" A man snorts.

"I see they put me near the end. Smart." My doctor? says.

A few more incoherent echoes, then footsteps, as, I assume they enter the kitchen. Now, is when Hawkeye is telling them about me.

Then, I start to pace my room. I'm bored, and insanely nervous about meeting people.

Eventually, after what felt like an eternity, my.phone vibrated.

'now' was all it said. We had choreographed this entire introduction so it would flow less awkwardly. Note the less.

I quietly exit the room, and slowly make my way down the hall to the kitchen. I have almost reached the room when the power flickers. Luckily the helicarrier is performing it's aircraft carrier boat role at the moment, so we won't fall to our deaths if power fails.

I freeze, I'm terrified of the dark, and I just finished reading the report on Loki. I sprint back to my room and seize my quiver and bow, swing them over my shoulder.

The bow fits on the high tech quiver either collapsed or open. When collapsed, it rests on the side, I can move my right arm back, grab the base and flip it forward so it opens mid air. I spent an hour practicing this move,and catching it after wards. When open, it hooks over the top of my quiver.

I leave it retracted, pull my flashlight out, and prepare for the worst.

On my way back, the power flickers again, then, dies. The flashlight casts a ghostly beam of white light, illuminating only a short distance before me. The rest of the world is terrifying shadows.

I fight with myself to keep from sprinting into the kitchen, instead I walk, my face belaying my false calm.

The Avengers have a lantern lit on the counter, and candles burning as a back-up.

All eyes turn to me, and I stutter out, "Is this, ah, normal?"

"No, the power is not supposed to be able to turn off." Hawkeye replies, shifting awkwardly, "This isn't even connected to the main grid. Lights, engines, and life support have their own generators. This shouldn't be happening."

The lantern flickered. I stared at it worriedly. I didn't want to seem childish by drawing my bow, big I was terrified that from around a corner, a monster, or worse, Loki would appear.

We stood in an awkward silence for a few minutes; broken by random coughs that echoed eerily down the halls. Eventually, Tony Stark stood and opened the cabinet. He pulled out a bottle of Scotch and a glass.

"Stark, is it really the best idea to drink now?" The sandy haired man , Steve Rogers, said.

"Mmnn, I guess not. But, since when do I listen to advice, Gramps?" Stark shot back.

The red haired woman standing near Clint, Natasha Romanoff sighed and rolled her eyes at the banter.

In the end, Stark drank his Scotch, with Steve glaring at him the entire time.

But then, something changed. The floor grew frigid, the ambient temperature plummeted. Our breath formed wispy vapor in the still air. I regret wearing a sleeveless top, I try fruitlessly to rub feeling back into my numb limbs. The lantern's feeble light vanished, leaving only flickering candles. Soon, those too went dark. The wax and wick frozen. I pulled out my bow, and drew an arrow.

Clank, clang, clang. Footsteps echoed drawing nearer. Then, from around the corner a blue glow came.

@********

Ooo cliff hanger!

I hope you enjoy it!

dedicated to MissLittleGamer because she and I both thought of Falcon as Aves's code name!

Please vote/ comment