Chapter 44-45: The Grand Ceremony

Chapter 44: TGC [Part 1]

Impossible.

That is unlike her.

“Lan Er.  Lan Er!” Feng Tian Qing feels like hes is about to suffer from headache as he push Lan Qin Yu who is in a daze. She is in an internal conflict, should she be Princess Zi Wei or the Mischievous Princess?

( TN :  Princess Zi Wei and Mischievous Princess (Diao Man Gong Zhu) are from two famous chinese dramas.   Princess Zi Wei is the gentle and virtuous princess from Huan Zhu Ge Ge while Situ Jing is the stubborn and unruly female lead from the Mischievous Princess.)

This woman can’t even do her hair quietly; she keeps moving. Who knows what she is thinking of inside?

“By the way, how long will the ceremony be?” Ancient ceremonies seem to have lots of long protocols.

Feng Tian Qing pulls up Lan Qin Yu whose hair is finally arranged to perfection, “It will not take too long. Only about four hours.”

Four hours?  That is not long for him?
When they have to stand in assembly in school back then, even an hour tires her to death. Lan Qin Yu who was originally pretty excited to become a princess looks at Feng Tian Qing pitifully.

“Wei… That…. That….. Can I not be a princess?”  Her voice is very soft but he can hear her just fine.  He frowns, “What did you just said?”

Such a dangerous tone oh!  She can see the anger radiating from him.

The ceremony is minutes away and she dares to say she didn’t want to?

Actually, she knows that it is impossible to back out now. She was just asking for the sake of asking ma!

“I was just asking!  Is that so wrong?”

————–

A eunuch respectfully walks in, cutting off the two people’s conversation. “Second Prince, Princess, the time for the ceremony is almost here.  Please go to Xuan De Hall.”

“We got it. You can leave first, we will follow suit.”

The first time she entered Xuan De Hall, she was just a nobody who was mistaken as a wangzi fei, the second time she goes there, she actually enters the hall as a princess.  There are literary and military officials standing inside the hall to participate in her canonization ceremony.  Such an honor and glory for her part. She, who has only been here for a couple of months actually manage to gather such a big crowd, this is considered not bad isn’t it?  She wonders what she will enter as, the third time.

Actually the conferring ceremony itself is simple.  First of all, the emperor’s eunuch, Eunuch Liu will read out the issued decree which is as following:

“By the grace of the heavens, the emperor decreed: Lan Qin Yu cairen has made great contributions upon entering the palace.  She fostered friendly relationship with foreign kingdoms and helped solved the drought issue revolving Heng City. Zhen confers Lan Qin Yu as Qing Feng Wang Dynasty’s princess, she is to be given the name Ruo Li and will be rewarded with ten thousand liang of gold and jewels. She will live in You Ning Palace.
Qinci .”

( TN : Qinci marks the end of a decree.)

After that, she need to thank the emperor’s grace before paying respect to the emperor and empress. Then, a historian from the court will recite the history of the dynasty. Since she has entered the imperial family, might as well learn their history, no? Then, she needs to pays respect to the previous emperor with three kowtows and nine curtsies.

At the end of everything, she needs to exchange wine with all the imperial children which is akin to, ‘From now onwards, we are family. Let’s take care of each other!’

Lan Qin Yu is completely speechless.

~~~~~
Chapter 45: TGC [Part 2]

The ceremony should be considered simple, right? Just, the official in charge of reading the history of the kingdom is reading a tad too slow. The ceremonial rites are draggy too.  The wine here tastes the same as the modern world, but the after-effect is so big it makes one wants to curse to everyone they see.

Shit! She has no idea how many people she had secretly cursed.  Who came up with such elaborate ritual?  Fortunately, the clothing of ancient era are wide and layered.  As long as the movement of her hand is not big enough, no one will notice anything off. She secretly repositions her numb legs and try to lessen the strain in her neck.  If this goes on, she will ignore conduct and just sit on the floor!

Perhaps the gods pity her, or isn’t willing to see such an embarrassing situation, just as Lan Qin Yu thought she cannot do it anymore, the ceremony comes to an end.
Arriving early is not as good as arriving at the right time; perhaps that saying refers to situations like this.

The moment she arrives in Ling Feng Palace, Lan Qin Yu takes off the heavy headgear on top of her head before shedding the layers and layers of clothing on her body.  The only layer left is a set of inner dress that is akin to a nightdress in modern times.  And then, she lies supine on top of the large, soft bed.  After that, she proceeds to fall asleep.  She will not stir no matter how many times Zi Er and Xiu Er calls for her.

“Never mind, no need to wake her.  She must be really tired.  Let her sleep in peace.” Feng Tian Qing fixes the quilt for her in heart-ache before he smoothens the bangs on her forehead.

“B-But—-“

“There is no ‘but’.  All of you can retreat.”

Zi Er hesitates. Why is the Second Prince so nonchalant, this is…..

Seeing the look in Feng Tian Qing’s eyes, Xiu Er wordlessly drags Zi Er away. She doesn’t know what will happen to them if they don’t leave.

After closing the door, Zi Er whispers, “But this is the Second Prince’s personal resting chamber. If the princess sleeps on the bed, where will the prince sleep at?”  She can only secretly guess; she doesn’t say it out loud and Xiu Er doesn’t plan on answering her either.

As for why Lan Qin Yu goes to Feng Tian Qing’s palace instead of the You Ning Palace bestowed by the emperor?

The reason is simple; because  Tian Qing’s palace is closer! Actually, You Ning Palace and Ling Feng Palace is close to each other. But for the Big Miss Lan Qin Yu whose feet is about to fall off, her first choice will naturally be the closer one!

As for whether or not Feng Tian Qing will try something on her…. Lan Qin Yu has one thought before falling asleep: He will not be interested in a girl who is sleeping like a pig.  Even if he decides to do something, he has a good-looking face so it’s not like she will be suffering from a loss.

But naturally, the dignified Second Prince, Feng Tian Qing will not have inappropriate bearing.  Lan Qin Yu comfortably sleeps until the next day.