Tea Cup Shattering: Scene Three

While running, her legs got tangled within the many layers of fabric that swished around her lower half as she fled. Melody could feel the stares upon her back from pedestrians as she sped past, but she didn't care. Her world was crashing, the earthquake had won, and the teacup was falling. That's what Melody's mind raced to as she hastened down the street. Her foot caught on the hem of her aqua dress and she fell onto into the dirt. Her tears slid down her cheeks like water in a stream that trickled its way down. She let them slither down to her neck before swiping them away with angry slash of her hand. Melody didn't move as she sat in the dust, as people stared, as wagons rolled by. She could be stubborn and high strung like that of a piano, she liked to hold to a certain note because it was comfortable. The crisp wind tumbled onto her cheeks causing them to brighten into a splotchy red, but she didn't move until a rough, calloused hand wrapped around her thin arm dragging her to her feet. She turned and backed up in horror, her tears drying. It was her father. His brows pulled down until she could've rested the hypothetical teacup on it, his lips were thinned into a straight, narrow line. He held out his hands as though he were placating a wild beast. She straightened her spine and gulped on the saliva resting on her tongue. Her father hands stumbled into the pictures he was trying to communicate.

"I-I'm sorry, Melody," His shoulders hunched in resignation. Melody smoothed her hands across her linen apron before replying rapidly, her body tense.

"For what? We are all tidy and proper not needing your assistance, apparently," At her motions he seemed to deflate for a second before motioning out.

"Slap me!" It wasn't a question. Melody smirked and without hesitating walked up to him and slapped him. The flesh beneath her hand didn't feel as satisfying as she had expected, and it felt wrong. She was slapping her own father. Images of words flashed in her mind.

"Honor your father and mother,"

Melody's lips began to tremble and the tears which had become a dessert a moment earlier began to flow easily again. Melody spun on her heel and ran, this time making sure her father wouldn't find her.