Chapter 9- Abandonment

"I need a room. Just for tonight..." I pulled my cloak tighter around me, making sure that my face was covered.

        "That'll be two gold pieces," the woman at the front counter said, not making eye contact with me. I slid the gold across the counter, my eyes downcast. The elderly woman handed me a key. "It's down the hall and to the left. Number 103."

        "Thanks," I took the key and walked down the dark corridor, searching for the right number. An old paint chipped door with the shadow of a number that had fallen off long ago awaited me. "Must be it," I placed the key in the lock, struggling to force the door open. I sighed, set down my things, and threw myself onto the bed. I scanned the small room with no particular interest. It was old and smelled immensely stale. The carpet was frayed and in need of significant improvement, the paint on the walls were chipped and stained to such an extreme that I couldn't help but wonder why I had paid two gold pieces for this wretched place. At least it was only for the night.

        I departed from the bed, strolling about the room. I rummaged through the drawers, trying in vain to find something to entertain myself with. I sighed in exasperation, peering through a single window. Now all that was left was to wait...

Zuko's POV: 

        "I want you to find her. Look everywhere. Do not return to me until you have." The man nodded, making eye contact with me for the first time.

        "I will not fail you prince." He arose, spinning on his heels and striding away.

        "Oh, and Chan? I need her alive." He nodded once more, proceeding to carry out his orders.

Katara's POV:

       I rummaged through my bag, searching for my toothbrush. I sighed, wondering how I had lost it in such a small bag. I finally felt the pouch that I had stored it in and dumped the toothbrush onto the counter. I looked at myself in the mirror for the first time that day, surprised to see another woman looking back at me. This woman was pale with dark circles under her eyes and she looked like she hadn't slept in days. This woman wasn't the future princess of the Fire Nation; she was just a Watertribe peasant, tired and alone. I quickly brushed my teeth, not wanting to look at myself any longer then I had to. 

       I climbed into bed, exhausted from the journey. As I fell into a troubled sleep, memories of the previous days haunted me. I thought about Zuko and Mai, about how he cheated and about how he hit me. I thought about the letter that I had sent to my brother, hoping that it wouldn't be intercepted. My thoughts slowly faded into dreams, which slowly faded into nightmares. I tossed and turned for hours, trying in vain to make the dreams stop.