Chapter 3

Hey guys! Next chapter! I really enjoyed writing this chapter so I hope you like it!

I just started college and I'm loving it so far. Classes are interesting and I only have class three day a week. Sure, I have more homework but nothing that I can't handle yet!

:D

Enjoy!

Chapter 3

My parents and I were never really close. To me they were just providers. They provided food, water, clothing and shelter and that’s about it. Love and affection weren’t really on their list to dole out. Even with themselves, they didn’t act like they were in love. We all got along but there was no feeling that we were a family, just people living in the same house.

It never really bothered me that much. I was so used to the feeling of not having anyone that you could trust and rely on so completely. Except for one person in my life, my grandmother. Whenever I couldn’t take the loneliness, I would go to her house and just her presence would make me feel better. She would make sure that I was fed and talk to me about my day. I knew that she truly cared for me and would do anything so that I was happy and safe.

It was when I was fourteen that things with my parents seemed to shift. Often I would come home to them fighting or not talking to each other at all. Later I found out that Dad was having some troubles at work and that it was possible that he would be laid off. Mom was getting angry, blaming this on him, which in turn got him mad and the cycle went back and forth until the day that it happened. He finally lost his job. It was just about as I was starting high school too. The only choice he had was to move to Massachusetts to find another job. This meant that all of us had to go.

I was devastated. Starting high school was scary enough but moving to a new state where I didn’t know anyone and leaving my friends behind was unimaginable. Thinking that my grandmother would step in and save me, I told her about my fears and that I was worried about starting over with them. I may have even slipped in a few words about my parent’s marital problems to gain some sympathy points. My hope was that she would offer me to live with her while I attended high school with my friends until college. I didn’t really care if my parent’s left me behind. Actually, I had been secretly hoping that I would get to move in with my grandma for a while.

It’s not like she didn’t have the room or money. I would have had no problem with getting a job to help pay if that was the case. When she didn’t offer, I suggested with a puppy-dog face that it would be nice if I could just stay with her.

She laughed at first but when she saw that I was serious she shook her head with a frown. Her excuse was that she was getting too old and couldn’t deal with the stress of having another teenager to worry about and look after.

And with that, a few weeks later, we had packed up and left to move to a new house in a different state. I was so mad that my grandmother had abandoned me like that when she knew how unhappy I was with my parents. I didn’t talk to her the first few months that I was there. Something that I would come to regret.

She died that winter leaving me alone in the world with just my parents and several thousand dollars in my name for college only. She knew how much I wanted to go to college to get away from my parents…But what hurt the most is that she didn’t tell me that she was sick. The people you trust the most, hurt you the most.

I got by high school as best as I could but I was so relieved when it was time for college. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough money even with my grandmother’s inheritance to live in a dorm, at least for my first year. I had jobs off and on but I was determined to live at school my sophomore year.