Chapter 16 - Friend or Foe?

The girl screams at the men that trapped her in the alley. It will do her no good. The brick wall at the end prevents her escape. The men are laughing as if they are at least partially intoxicated. The man on the right has a couple of days worth of shadow on his face. He looks like he works with his hands. The man to the left is wearing a jacket that hides his bulk, but the prison tatoos on his face give away his character. They both tower over the girl.

The man with the switchblade and goatee is clearly the leader. He lingers a bit behind the two larger men. He is holding the blade in front of him, making sure the girl can see it as he walks towards her. He is the first to speak, "Why so scared darlin'? I only want to talk." He pauses to take in her whimpers. She tries to respond, but fear takes the words from her. The man with the blade continues, "Fellas, lock her down." She tries to fight them off, but the bottle of mace she tries to pull from her purse makes a soft clacking noise on the ground. The two larger men grab her arms before she can reach down for it.

Ornias has to put his two cents in. "So scary! Oh how I love goatees. They make any man look more menacing. Do you think I should grow one Thomas? Would others take me more seriously if I had facial hair?" I ignore the demon's comment.

Something is building within my body. Several of the voices within want me to do something, but what can I do? Reapers aren't built to influence the living world. It is very rare that a reaper is able to move a small item in the physical world. I have done it before, but takes lot of concentration to make what amounts to a small gust of wind. It's barely enough to make a pinwheel spin.

The demon claps his hands together. "Are you really thinking of interfering reaper? Oh this should be entertaining."

The wind swirls at the other end of the alley. Remiel has teleported to the scene. His face looks stern.

The man with the blade says, "Yer a good girl aren't you? Wouldn'tcha be more comfortable with less clothing on? Lemme help ya with that." He begins to cut off bits of her clothing using the switchblade. She cries, and in response he makes shushing noises.

Remiel takes it all in. "What ist going on here?"

The demon responds, "Sit back and enjoy the show. Something interesting is about to happen."

I can no longer contain the voices emploring me to act. My hand involuntarily extends, and lightning tatoos the wall behind the girl. I almost hit the one I was trying to protect. I need more control!

The man with the blade turns away from her. "The hell was that?" I shoot another bolt that lands almost at his feet. "Oh Shit!" One of the men lets go of the girl's arm. She punches the man with the blade in the back of the head then flails wildly at the man holding her other arm. The man with the knife turns back, grabs the girl by her hair, and yanks her spine back at an uncomfortable angle. He plunges the switchblade deep into her neck. I let out a scream. I don't know why this is having such an effect on me. I've seen things like this before. Still, it feels like the man had stabbed me. Tears would be falling from my eyes if they still worked like that. The man with the goatee turns to his two cronies. "That lightnin' is freaky. Let's get outta here!"

I stare into the girl's eyes as life fades from them. Her life story plays in my eyes.

Remiel says, "What ist thou doing Ornias?"

"Who me? I was on my way to get a pedicure then pick up my dry cleaning when I saw a reaper. I had to see what was going on. You know the reapers are my favorite show to watch."

I swallow the girl's soul. The new power hits my body like a jackhammer.

Remiel turns towards me. "What ist thou doing reaper?"

Ornias chimes in once more before I can respond. "Lover's quarrel. Sorry fellas, but I'm not into soap operas." He teleports away.

I answer the angel's question. "My job. I cannot leave these souls untended, but I do not know where to send them. Did you find out if the lists were tampered with?"

The angel narrows his eyes. "Where ist thy bone?"

I shift on my feet and curl my fingers in my left hand up in a fist. "Remiel, you took the lists."

Remiel pulls his sword. "Think about thine actions reaper. Dost thou wish to make an enemy of Heaven's Army?"

"Of course not!"

Remiel approaches me with his sword still pointed at me in an agressive manner. "Reaper..."

I haven't ever been attacked by an angel before. It's terrifying to see that serene impartial face turn to anger. I don't wait for the angel to strike. I teleport away to Venice. I used to love visiting this city when I was alive. It is truly a marvel each time.

"Escape ist not that easy reaper." Remiel's voice comes from directly behind me.