Chapter 6 - Death Goes On

I try to reach within to grasp the bold soul that has attached itself to my own. My hand dips within my chest. Inches away my hand meets a force that repels my ever increasing efforts.

I hear a voice from deep within. As if it is my own, but it sounds like another's voice. It says, "I am a good person! Why? Why would you do such a thing?"

It must be Harold. I respond, "What have you done? I must send you to your destination in the afterlife. This is to protect you."

"You were going to send me to hell! I don't belong there. I told you that I am a good person. I should go to heaven."

I realize that I must look rediculous. A reaper standing in the middle a golf course talking to himself. If it weren't for the terrifying skull and blazing red eyes. "Harold, I don't get to make that decision. I just work here."

I feel the other soul shift a bit. "But I AM a good person."

"Listen Harold. You can't stay here. I have seen what angels do to souls that are meant to be hellbound. It's like watching vultures ripping apart a corpse. The demons are just as bad. When a reaper makes a mistake it is not pretty, and that is what this is... a mistake."

Harold digs in. "I'm not going anywhere."

I don't have time for this. There are other names on the list. The black mist begins to form around what is left of me.

Harold shivers. "What are you doing? What is going on?"

I would smile if I had lips to curl back. Here we go. The teleportation begins. I feel the ripping sensation down to my soul as usual, but this time Harold is screaming inside of me. I can feel his soul's grip slipping. I try to snag the soul again, but the same force stops me.

Maybe I can shake him free while he's still not used to the teleporting. Instead of taking a few steps forward, I teleport. Then again to the left, back to the right, four steps back, and seven steps forward in rapid succession. The soul bends and curves, but doesn't lose it's grip.

I can feel Harold trembling and gasping from within, but he is still there. Thankfully he is quiet. I should get back to work.