Chapter 9: Glimpse

I am very excited to share this chapter and the ones to follow! Things are starting to pick up here and I apologize in advance for the cliff hanger, you know I love them. Thank you for continuing Ribbon and supporting my work! 

Cheers, and happy Sunday! 

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Chapter 9: Glimpse

            “It must have been nice, growing up here.” Max half-smiled. I pulled my knees up to my chest and set my chin atop of them, staring out at the rolling hills stretching out before us.

            “It was – a little absent of social interaction but still, I couldn’t imagine being happy anywhere else,” I replied genuinely. It was effortless being around Max, spilling my private thoughts.

Though I was slowly getting used to having someone around, this newfound friendship… or whatever it may be… frightened me slightly. Not that being with Max was what necessarily made me uneasy. Instead, it was the thought of ever losing this – of losing him. Today alone proved how much I cared for him. Simply seeing him atop of that roof, on the brink of disaster, had caused my heart to lurch. And… I couldn’t stop myself from thinking of what might happen when he regains his memory. Aside form the obvious apprehension, knowing he could be in danger, what would be in store for the two of us in the future?

            Thus, I was at a crossroads. I had begun to rely on Max far too much – silently asking things of him, without ever realizing it or having him have the slightest indication of my desperation. Despite the haze of happiness lingering over my life, I am still incomplete. I am still suffering from the darkness lingering inside of me.

            The more I contemplated the idea of being alone again to retreat to my mind, the more dim sorrow fell over me. I was clinging to the edge of a cliff, not knowing if I would have the strength to pull myself up or succumb to my weaknesses and fall.

            “What are you thinking about?” Max suddenly asked, reaching out to gently tug on red ribbon tied on my wrist.

I pushed away my thoughts and forced my mind to focus on reality. Also, almost humorously, I noticed the clouds were billowing darkly in the sky above, a sure sign of an afternoon rainstorm.

            “That’s the problem.” I smile sorrowfully. “I don’t stop thinking.” 

            “Oh…” I turned to Max then, finding the tone of his voice a little worrisome. I expected a comical reply, knowing he’d always find a way to lift my sprits. However once I focused on him, only sitting a few inches beside me, I stiffened.

            With his small tug and my absentmindedness, the signature ribbon tied around my delicate wrist had fallen loose.

            Defenselessness could not even begin to sum up the feelings inside of me as Max gently lifted my wrist in his hand, turning the inside up to face the dim sky. I wanted to speak or jerk my hand away but I felt completely paralyzed.