Chapter 2: The Choice

Hi :) I'm really exciting to share this chapter with you! I hope you enjoy this second installment of Ribbon! I know it was a bit of a slow start in Chapter 1, but I promise you the action sparks now. Of course, remember to check out the Side Bar--> for photos and also, for music! 

I see your votes, and absolutely appreciate them! And if you have any feedback, I'd really love to hear it so comment below! :) x 

Cheers! 

This chapter is dedicated to @Drakaneal for always supporting my work!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Chapter 2: The Choice

            I awoke to the sound of birds chirping and the warm glow of the afternoon’s sun across my face. Yawning tiredly, I then forced my dreary eyes open and sighed as I gazed out at the picturesque skyline.

            I must’ve somehow managed to fall asleep here, in the loft, after I’d finally succumbed to sleep in the midst of my waterworks display. Frowning slightly, I turned and gazed out at the lava lamp clock resting on the wooden floor. Surprisingly, it read 4:30p.m, which meant I hadn’t truly wasted the whole day.

            Feeling suddenly restless, I quickly threw off my blanket and slipped on my flats once again. With one quick straightening of myself, I decided to just try and move on from the morning’s events.

* * *

            I rubbed my arms mindlessly as I began walking out of the barn and toward the back of the farmhouse. There, I could already see the shadow of my Gran shuffling around in the kitchen and my Granddad setting the table.

            I suddenly felt guilty and saddened by the morning’s event. Not for myself though, but for them. As difficult as it is to wrap my head around, I knew that my condition hurt my grandparents. Though they’d never say anything, I still understood.

            They wanted nothing more than for me to be accepted and settled back into the community like every other teenager. My Gran was a social butterfly and my Granddad was known throughout town for his incredible harvest but because of me, they’ve missed out. People felt bad for my grandparents because they had gotten stuck with the awful burden of raising a broken child. People avoided them because they either didn’t understand my condition or had made up some horrendous picture in their minds of what I must be like.

            So, in short, feeling guilty was just hitting the surface on how I felt.

            “Ah, there you are kiddo. I thought I’d have to haul you out of that loft soon,” Granddad grinned toothily as he looked up from the table setting.

            Plastering a phony smile to my lips, I nodded somberly and shrugged. “Sorry about that, I fell asleep,” I replied honestly.

            “No harm, no foul dear. Now, come on over here and help me put the soup on the table,” Gran piped up, smiling softly.