Chapter 1: Try

Welcome to Ribbon!

I'm so glad you decided to give this story a read and check out my work. As a small reminder, I always add a Side Bar--> photo (Grace Mayfeild) and a Soundtrack Song at the side to give you a little indication of what sort of music inspired this chapter. 

Crossing my fingers that you enjoy this first piece of Ribbon! 

Dedication to @LovelyWinters for expressing her excitement over this story! Thank you so so much! :)

Cheers :)

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Chapter 1: Try

            I sat back in the thick underbrush of my Granddad's wheat field and let out a low sigh. If you’d told me two years ago that I’d be here, lying peacefully, I would’ve scoffed bitterly in your face.

            You see, I don’t mean to sound foul… it’s just that two years ago my life and more importantly, I myself, were different.

            It happened slowly, progressively, as if I’d been infected with some sort of tapeworm that slowly inched its way beneath my skin and into the inner workings of my entire being. I guess I could make the estimation that it started when I took my first step into a public school. However, more accurately, I’d been medically diagnosed at the age of thirteen.

            For lack of a better explanation and the excuse that I’m not one for mind games, I suffer from the mental disease, depression.

            I wish I could control it – slap a smile on my face and go about my life with an unwavering sense of positivity. Yet, I can’t do that.

            In contrary to popular belief (or more so my small-minded southern town) I’m not overtly low because my parents didn’t raise me or I’m socially inadequate. No, and let me make this perfectly clear, no.

            What a lot of people seem to miss is that I have a lot of things to be happy about. That’s why I can sit here, staring up at the blanket of iridescent stars, and feel okay.

            Yea, I’m okay… and really proud of that.

            See, even if my parents aren’t in the picture, my grandparents are… and they’re wonderful people. In fact, in every possible way, they are parents to me. They are the people who protect, love, cherish, and help me through every dark day.        

            They are what make me happy, and happiness is not a feeling I tend to dismiss.

            So lets rewind back to why I rambled on about two years prior to this night. Well, it’s pretty simple and also at the same time kind of hard to admit.

            Two years ago… and for the majority of my youth, I couldn’t cope with my disease and many times I would think of awful, unhealthy things. If it’s alright with you, I’d rather not go into explicit details. But just for the record, I’m better now. No, not completely well but still, I’m better.