Chapter 17

Mae came out from the bathroom, a fluffy white towel wrapped tight around her. She was looking much better than when Opie had sent her in.

"You were right," she said bashfully, feeling his eyes on her. He sat on the edge of her bed not even trying to hide the way he stared. "I feel like a different person."

"Me too," he muttered. Mae did that to him, made him feel normal, like a good man who had purpose.

Standing over the bureau Mae silently combed her hair and secretly glanced at his reflection in the mirror. She couldn't ignore the dark look in his eyes, the sadness.

"I really appreciate everything you've done. Feeding me, taking care of me, it means a lot." She gave him a wonky grin. "I'm not one hundred percent but it's bearable." She may have been exaggerating but Mae was trying to keep herself positive, it was all she could do. Her heart ached knowing she was going to end things, a bright outlook helped.

He knew what her gratitude meant, she didn't need him anymore and he hadn't done a proper job of winning her back. Opie's chin wobbled but he was confident his beard covered it. At least he'd gotten what he asked for, a chance to help her through the worst. She didn't owe him anything really but maybe he was wrong, Opie hoped he was wrong.

"Are you going back to work soon?"

Mae nodded. "I'll take the weekend, go back Monday. Principal was great about it, I told him I got the flu." With some clever makeup tricks she wouldn't have to explain the fading bruises.

"You think we could talk before then?" Adjusting his hat he watched as she stepped back into the bathroom to get dressed. That wasn't a good sign, Opie could feel his eyes start to sting at the realization that he really wasn't going to be forgiven.

All he really wanted was to be honest with her, open up and share everything but that wasn't an option now, not if she was leaving. Mae wanted that too, that connection, but the trust was gone.

When she came back out in little grey shorts and a white tank she nodded. "Yeah, I think that would be a good idea." Tossing her hair up in a messy bun she heard his phone go off, she caught his expression change as he read the text message.

'Nailed down Weston, Sack's on his way to you.'

"Is everything okay?" Mae asked.

"I have to go." He said quickly. "I'll be back and then we can talk." Opie wasn't sure if he even had a shot but he figured at this point it wouldn't hurt to try. Holding her tight Ope pressed her body against the wall and kissed her with an urgent hunger. "Just stop thinking; you think too much, it complicates shit."

Mae was frozen in her spot, her breath catching in her throat as her heart and mind battled. She nodded, he was right, if she didn't think about what he'd done everything would be wonderful.

"Sack's down stairs." He said as a Harley roared into the drive. "Should be the last time you'll need protection."

That didn't sound good, she nodded. "Be careful, Ope."

Charming PD received a call early the next morning, anonymous of course, to report the destruction at Impeccable Smokes. Unser was already on Main Street when Hale arrived to check it out.

"What in the hell is this?" He asked, truly shocked at the scene before him. Ethan's body crumbled on the floor, the store was destroyed, an axe it looked like, maybe a bat as well. Strength and anger was all Hale could be sure was used. "Jesus Christ."

"I got this one." Unser said, his arm extended to keep David at a distance. "Looks like a robbery gone wrong."

It wasn't and no one who knew about what happened to Gemma believed for a second this was anything but SAMCRO.