Chapter 15

When Opie woke, his arms around Mae protectively, the pit in his stomach that he'd had since being with Lyla was gone. He was silent and still hoping to prolong the moment as long as possible but Tara came in to interrupt him.

"Hi," she whispered. It was clear she'd left and changed, he glanced at the alarm to see it was just after ten in the morning. "How is she?"

He nodded. "Good, I guess, she's been sleeping since I got here."

Tara smiled, that was what Mae needed, rest was important. "I'm going to give her this, for the nausea." She pulled out a syringe from her bag. "It's only half a dose, couldn't get more but hopefully it'll help."

"Thank you," Opie said as Tara wiped the spot on Mae's upper arm with alcohol.

She injected the medication, Mae's eyes fluttered but she was so exhausted she didn't wake up. "I have surgery but I'll check in with her. Sack went home for some sleep, will you be here?"

"I'm not going anywhere."

Tara left with a quiet nod, the door latched and her feet creaked down the steps. Opie wouldn't let her go, he just basked in the moment. Somewhere along the way he fell back to sleep only waking again when Mae rolled over to face him.

"Hey." He brushed her hair back from her face. "How are you feeling?"

She nodded, "Better."

That made Opie smile but Mae was still frowning. His thumb ran along her cheek from the corner of her mouth wishing he could cheer her up, make her smile in even the slightest. She loved being in his arms, with him, around him, but her heart was aching. A betrayal like that, so early on, even without the insanity of everything else, was bad enough.

"Tara was here, stuck you with something for your stomach. Is it helping?" Mae nodded again, her lips turning into a tiny grin. "Good, that's good."

"Ope, we should talk."

"Yeah," he swallowed slowly. "Mae I'm so sorry. I was an asshole, I was in a bad spot."

She scowled. "A bad spot?" Maybe next time he'd be more careful with his words. "Opie," her voice cracked. "I tried to get you to understand, I was staring at you, begging you." Mae shook her head. "It's probably better you left, Weston said he'd kill you, I just..."

"What happened?" The last thing Opie was going to do was try and defend himself, he'd have a chance to explain his side but right now it was about her. He was in a strange headspace after what they'd been told about Gemma but that felt like a cheap excuse.

Mae buried her head in his chest, she wanted to tell him everything but now it seemed impossible. Slowly, apprehensively, she outlined her relationship with the Niners, the murder, then how she'd run to Darby for help and what he'd had her do as payment for protection.

"I'm sorry, I know how you feel about drugs and the dealers." She remembered Clay and Tig telling her clearly. "I didn't know at first but then Tig found out and he told Clay and they freaked. I was scared to tell you, I didn't want to lose you."

"What?" Opie pulled a face, nothing but the guys' involvement mattered right then. "Tig and Clay knew?"

Mae could feel him tensing, she swore he was angry with her. "Yeah, they offered to help me get out from LaRoy and Darby, but it got messy really fast."

Opie was livid, he had to keep himself calm until he had a chance to go confront them. He didn't want to upset her any more than he already had. "Darby was working with Zobelle," he said. "Tig and Clay, they didn't want to help you for nothing, did they?"