Chapter 11

A full week had passed them all by. It was busy in every aspect of her life. Mae was still meant to be helping both sides in the ongoing war but it was so easy to ignore when she was with Opie. The last thing she wanted to do was rat and really it wasn't even possible. To her they were clean but just because she didn't have any real knowledge of the illegal activities the club was involved in didn't mean Mae didn't have suspicions.

Tig and Clay hounded her for information on Darby and more importantly The League but those men were keeping her in the dark. They were no fools they knew they had to protect themselves.

Tensions between brothers grew to a point where they could no longer be tolerated by those in or outside the club. It was clear they all needed a refocus and Gemma was sure she had just the thing to bring them all back. Telling them what really happened the night of Bobby's party had multiple purposes, not least of all would be therapeutic for her. The damage Zobelle was planning could only be stopped if they knew the truth, she couldn't lie anymore. It was tearing her apart inside and going to rip the club to pieces.

The next day when Clay held church he had the painful job of telling the club exactly what had happened to their Queen Gemma. Gutted and broken, but with a plan, the men were all sent home. They had to be clear and calm and none of them were even close to that.

Mae wasn't expecting to see Opie that day, she wasn't the one to bring the kids home either. She had her weekly meeting with Darby which meant she tried to keep her distance from them all. It made her feel better about the lie in some way.

The sun was barely beginning to set when she unlocked her front door and tossed the keys on the side table. It wasn't something he'd taught her but as Opie always stressed she locked the door as soon as she closed it. He was such a stickler for safety.

"Hello?" She hadn't even taken two full steps before she noticed things were askew. "Is somebody here? Ope?"

No answer. Moving forward into the house she looked around carefully but there was no sign anyone was still in the house. More than half of her wanted to call Opie but Mae knew she should probably call Tig or Clay, just in case it was Darby or worse.

Mae turned on her heel to grab her phone and was suddenly face to face with A.J. Weston. She opened her mouth to scream but he clamped his hand over her lips and silenced her.

"We're tired of waiting." He snarled. When she shook her head he moved his hand to let her speak.

"I don't know anything," Mae cried. "They wouldn't tell me anything, please."

Roughly he dragged her down the hall and tossed her like a ragdoll into the corner of the kitchen. Her head bounced off the steel refrigerator door with a crack and she yelped at the impact.

It was only the sound of Opie's Harley that saved her from Weston's wrath in that moment. He lifted her to stand and shoved her toward the door. "Get rid of him."

"How?"

"Find a way and if you don't, I'll kill him."

Using the entryway mirror she tried to make herself look presentable as she heard his heavy feet up the path. Mae's face was flushed, she looked frazzled but she had no time. The second his knuckles hit the door Mae swung it open.

Opie looked horrified, he was monumentally upset over what had happened to Gemma. All he wanted was to hold his girl, to know she was okay. There was an overwhelming need to protect and love Mae, he couldn't take her for granted.

"Hey," he waited for her to open the screen door but she didn't "Can I come in?"

She shook her head like she was meant to but her eyes screamed at him. "No, you can't."

"Why?" Too upset and lost in his own thoughts Opie didn't grasp the look in her eyes. "What's going on?"

"You should go, Ope." She said slowly. "You need to leave."

The pink in her cheeks and her slightly messed hair reminded him of the first time they'd fooled around. He looked over her shoulder and into the house. "Someone here with you?"

"No." She said quickly while her eyes said yes, but he couldn't see it.

Slowly he nodded, the shadow of another person hit the hallway wall. It was clearly a man and Opie had all he thought he needed. The urge to destroy the other guy was overpowered by the intense sadness he felt for Gemma and for himself. "Fucking typical." He spat as he backed away.

"Ope, it's not like that."

He didn't care to hear another word from her. Opie jumped back on his bike, heartbroken and supremely pissed. He was a fool to ever believe something that good could be real.

Mae sobbed as he disappeared down the street but her sorrow was drowned out quickly by pain as Weston grabbed her hair and winged her back into the kitchen.

"Let's see if I can't make you remember something." Weston backhanded her, a few drops of blood dripped from the corner of her mouth. "Maybe shake some secrets loose?"

She pressed her hand to her lip and tried to calm her brain long enough to think of some type of plan but all thoughts stopped when two more men came out from her hallway. Opie was right there, she was so close to getting out of that situation but he was so lost he couldn't even see what was happening.

"Please, please don't do this." In a panic she just blurted out the only thing she could. "One of them is coming here. He won't go like Opie, he'll come in."

Dropping to his knees in front of her Weston grabbed Mae's face. "Who? Which one?"

"Tig, Tig's coming."

"Why?" He was a mere few inches from her face now. "Was he going to follow you?"

"No!" Deny, deny, deny. It was all she could do, it was what Tig always told her to do. "He's… he's…"

Fed up quickly A.J. gripped her throat and slammed her head back against the fridge. "Tell me what they know."

"Nothing." She choked out as she began to cry. "I don't know anything."

When he released her neck Mae gasped for air. Weston looked amused as he fiddled with something in his pocket. "Darby told me," he grinned. "I think I know how to get what I want." He pulled a little pouch from his pants and from that a syringe filled with heroin.

"No," she moaned. "Please." It didn't matter what she said, a small part of Mae really wanted that hit. even if she knew it would be the worst thing to happen to her. "I really don't know anything."

Weston didn't care. While the other two men held her down he pressed the tip of the needle into her arm. "Maybe this will make you more willing to talk." He pressed the plunger down just a bit, careful to not give her too much and render her unconscious or possibly even kill her. He stepped back and watched, the change in Mae was instant, her body slumped down when the men let her go. Mae murmured as the warmth flowed through her veins and the drug began to take hold over her.