Chapter 9

Chapter 9.

“How quickly your feelings have changed, Mr. Burmmington.” Beth spoke in a reserved voice.

“I assure you, it was not me, it was Miss Oceana who played with my feelings. She made me believe she was a rich heiress, she tempted me sorely and I gave in. If I were you…”

“Edward!” Beth’s sad eyes turned angery, but she kept her voice calm. “Do not try to play this game with me. I know Oceana, and I know you don’t have anything she would want.”

“I?” Edward was very much offended at Beth’s statement, “I, who am rich, influential and handsome, don't have anything Miss Oceana could want? Miss Warren, Beth, you know better than anyone else that I have more to offer a woman than any other man.”

“Oh Edward, Edward, this shows how little you know my friend. She is not like the women you and I are used to seeing in society. She doesn’t care for money, she hates it, she hates the kind of life you lead. You have nothing with which to tempt her. I recall now how she hated going anywhere you were. I didn’t understand, I was blinded by my love for you to think you would be chasing other girls."

"So she made you believe, but in reality there is a lot more to your little friend than you know. Why money is all she is after, and she so winded me around her finger, I forgot myself. I was lost in her clutches"

"Edward, how can you be like this. I know Oceana, I have know her since she was a child and if there was one thing she never cared for it was for society and the set of rules by which we live. I kept her in London by sheer force. Trust me, if it were up to her, she would have never attended parties or balls or picnics, but would have spent her entire time here in the prisons or in the slums. Her friends are common, simple people and stuffed-up gentlemen like yourself are exactly what she hates the most. Besides, I seem to remember her being very taken with a young officer in the navy and whenever she was free she was conversing with him. You, on the other hand, you tried to get her attention, but she never gave it to you. But you know what I find even worse? After she rejected you, you are trying to put the blame on her in an attempt to get me back. Did you find out she has neither name nor family nor money and realized no matter what your fancy you could not join with her? No doubt she told you of her mermaid claimed and you were horrified of your future wife telling everyone she is half mermaid. And now you return to me, thinking I will take you back?”

“Which of course you shall, it would be foolish of you not too. Just tear up that note you hold in your hands and throw it into the fire.”

“You wrote  you no longer love me, that you feelings have moved on towards another person, is that not true?”

“I wrote this in the spur of the moment when I was not thinking straight."

“And how many such moments am I to expect from you, Edward? How many more beautiful woman are you going to flirt with?”

“Beth, hear me out…”

“I can no longer bind myself to you because the love I had for you no longer exists. I believe I lost it some time ago, I just didn't know what else to do. Now at last I have found someone I truly love and I wish to be free from my promise to you. I withdraw my offer and beg of you to return the ring I have given you.” Beth read from the note in her hand, “Edward, you can’t do this. You can’t go about playing with hearts this way. You can’t break with me, get reject and then expect me to take you back. That’s not how it is done.”

“Elizabeth Warren, you have no choice but to take me back, unless you want to become the object of gossip. So I fell in love with someone else, so what? Don't you see what a fool you would be if you gave me up? Come, stop being a silly little girl, tell me you forgive me and we’ll pretend this never happened. A man is allowed to flirt a little every now and then, the only thing is not to take it too far.”