Chapter 8 (part 1)

Things were very busy so I haven't been able to finish the chapter, it's almost finished but not quite. However, I did not want to keep you all waiting, so this is part of it and the other part will come up on Wedenesday :)

***************************************************************************************

Chapter 8

Dear Callum,

It is hard to believe that already a week has passed since Beth’s engagement ball. I had thought to leave as soon as the ball was over but Beth and Miss Patterson are determined to keep me here for at least another two weeks it seems, maybe even longer. I have enjoyed my stay, but I find myself getting a little homesick. London really isn’t my boat and I am beginning to long for the waves and the sky that can only be truly appreciated from the cliffs by our home. Beth has promised me a trip to the country, so I’m in better spirits now than yesterday. We attend a shocking amount of parties, too many if someone were to ask me, but then no one ever asks me. I don’t know if everyone of wealth goes to so many parties, or if it simply something Beth enjoys doing, but I am tiring of going out night after night. Sometimes you just want a quiet evening home with a good book to read.

Another thing I dislike about the parties is we are always accompanied by Beth’s intended, Edward Burmmington. I don’t know who else to complain too, Callum, so I will tell all to you. From the moment I met Mr. Burmmington, he was obviously fascinated with me and since then has been actively seeking my company. Only a day after the ball I had gone for a little walk in the park and I met him there. He did not leave my side during the entire walk, talking a great deal and asking me a lot of questions I didn’t care to answer. The next day I met him at a bookshop where he insisted that he buy me a book, even though I did not wish him too. When I asked him why he was so generous, his reply was that any friend of Beth’s was his friend too. I tried to believe that this was his only motive, but now I am in serious doubt. It seems no matter where I go, he is always there. I am honestly beginning to think it is not just chance that constantly makes us meet. At the last party, he danced with me more than he did with his own bride. I hadn’t realized the fact at first, but when the truth dawned on me I was very upset. I don’t want to be rude to him, because I’ve already made enough fuss for poor Beth, but at the same time, I need to make it clear to him that his behavior is wrong. Today I shall try to talk Beth into letting me skip the planned party. I need a break from everything, especially Edward Burmmington. So far Beth doesn’t seem suspect anything, and that is not surprising, seeing as when Mr. Burmmington is around Beth he is kind and attentive, but at the same time his eyes never leave me. I don’t know how to tell this to Beth without causing her pain or alarm. I feel perhaps I should tell Miss Patterson, but I’m not sure how to go about that either. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Now for some pleasant news to go along with the unpleasant. I have made a new friend, he is a lieutenant in the royal navy. He is smart and intelligent, but at the same time not at all stuffed up and full of himself. His company is very pleasant and I enjoy myself. Only I haven’t seen much of him recently; I believe he has had many duties to attend too. At one point I did tell him my mermaid heritage and poor Beth was so upset when she found out she made me swear never to tell it to anyone else. There are really so many ‘don’ts’ here in London, I am reminded of my time in the orphan asylum.

Tomorrow we shall leave London to stay with a friend of Miss Patterson’s who has a home in Devonshire. Beth has told me it is the most beautiful county ever. I cannot fully believer her, as nothing can compare to our Scottish hills, but I am very excited about spending a week away from this noisy city and Mr. Burmmington. It truly is a pity we shall only be gone a week, but I do have something to look forward to when we return. As soon as we get back I plan to visit Stephanie and the children. I haven’t had a chance to spend quality time with them since my arrival because I am always having to attend Beth’s tea parties or evening parties or picnics or something like that.