july 24th, 2017

[you]
✧✧✧
An incessant noise woke you from your sleep. You scrunched up your eyebrows and grumbled.

"I didn't set an alarm—oh." It was your ringtone, you realized. You picked up the phone.

"Hello?" Your voice was scratchy.

"[y/n]?"

"...Josh Dun?"

"Hey! It's great to hear you again, it's been a while."

"Josh! Oh my god, how long has it been? Six years?" You beamed. It was great to hear his voice.

He chuckled. "It's been a long time. I've missed you."

"I missed you too!"

He laughed. "I'm sorry to call you this abruptly, but I was wondering if you could do me a favor."

"Anything."

He sighed. "Tyler's has a tough time feeling motivated lately. I think he needs a break, but he won't listen to me..."

"Yeah?"

"I was wondering if you could come over and talk to him. I think he gets tired of hearing me bug him about it, so I thought he'd be more willing to hear it from you."

You blushed. "I—Of course. When do you need me over?" It was Monday, but you had the day off of work since you went in yesterday, which was your usual day off. You didn't have to be anywhere, so why not?

"10? Does that work?"

You checked the clock on your wall. 8:32. "Yeah, that should work!"

"Alright! See you then, and thank you so much," he replied.

"No problem!" you answered, hanging up.

Excitement bloomed in you, a kind of childlike happiness. Even though you saw Tyler just two weeks ago, it felt like almost more than the six years you'd been apart previously.

What is this feeling? you thought, shaking your head. The emotions of the human psyche would forever mystify you.

You hurried to get ready in time, showering and blow-drying your hair, dabbing just a twinge of mascara on your eyelashes. Before you knew it, it was 10, and you raced to your car.

You remembered the directions from when you went with Tyler the first time, and before you knew it, you were pulling into his driveway. You rushed up to the front door, knocking three times.

The seconds felt like hours as you waited for him to answer. Excitement bubbled in you, but you didn't understand why. It was just Tyler Joseph.

"Hello?"

The door swung open.

You beamed. "Tyler!"

His face, weary-looking, brightened immediately. "[y/n]!" He pulled you into an embrace. You almost melted.

Then he let you go and stepped back, blushing. He scratched the back of his head. "S-sorry. I've missed you."

You stepped inside his house. It smelled like cinnamon. "I've missed you too."

He grinned sheepishly. "So, what do you want to do? We can play a game, watch Netflix, whatever you want."

I thought for a minute. "What kind of baking supplies do you have?"

He shrugged. "Nothing, really. I usually do Uber Eats, I'm not that great at cooking."

Your shoulders slumped. "Hmm..."

He bit his lip. "Here, follow me."

He led you downstairs, where all his equipment was, and made his way to the other side of the room.

"We're gonna shred ukulele? I'm confus—"

He pushed a panel on the wall and it swung open, like a door.

"Woah."

He grinned. "Welcome to the man cave."

You cocked an eyebrow. "But... I'm not a man."

"I don't really have a lot of female friends," he shrugged. "It's really only me and Josh, and thus, the 'man cave.'" He grabbed your hand and raced inside, down a little stretch of a hallway and into another room, which was about half the size of the studio. It was complete with a pinball machine, a pool table, air hockey, a TV, and even a little soda dispenser and a mini fridge.

You exhaled. "This is... awesome."

He laughed. "Yeah, I know. That's why I made it." You shook your head, becoming aware that your hand was still encased in his. You felt your face get warm, but you shook your head and let go, stepping toward the pool table.

"You wanna play pool?" Tyler inquired, following you. You nodded, grinning.

"Okay, but I have to warn you. I'm the best pool player in all of this house," he smirked.

You rolled your eyes. "We'll see."

Within three rounds, you had won. It didn't take much with you, though. You were good at geometry, you were good at angles, so pool was a piece of cake.

Tyler shook his head. "That's not right. I want a rematch."

You sighed, smirking. "Okay, pal. It's your ego, not mine."

This time, the game was more even. Then, on the fifth round, he accidentally hit the 8-ball in. He threw his hands in the air. "That doesn't mean I'm not good! It just means I'm unlucky! Rematch!!"

You sighed. "Bring it on."

He went first, hitting in a striped ball on his second go. I then hit in all but three solids.

He huffed, aiming to hit in a striped, but it bounced off the side and hit a solid in instead.

Next, I hit in my final two solids and lightly tapped the 8-ball in.

Tyler's jaw dropped. "What the hell?"

You laughed. "You underestimate me, Tyler Joseph! I would've thought you'd have known better." You shook your head.

He scrunched up his nose. "Unfair. You're more talented than me. That's a direct advantage."

You rolled your eyes. "What else is new?"

He blinked, then processed what I said. "Hey!" he protested.

You chuckled. "I just whooped your ass three times in a row. I think it's time to watch Netflix."

Tyler narrowed his eyes. "You're just scared you'll lose to me if we keep playing."

You sighed. "I'm scared your ego will break."

He huffed. "You're so mean!"

"And?"

He punched your shoulder. "What do you want to watch?"

You thought a minute. "The Office."

He groaned. You raised your eyebrows.

"What's so bad about The Office?"

Tyler shook his head. "Josh has made me watch every single episode at least five times with him."

You nodded, satisfied. "Well, he's doing God's work."

He shook his head. "Alright, we'll watch it."

As the episode began, you started to realize how happy you were with Tyler. Why was that? Why was it any different than with Justice? Or Josh?

You had an idea, but you didn't want to admit it to yourself.
✧✧✧