Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“Tomorrow?” Emily asked incredulously.

Zach glared at her from across the kitchen table and said, “Nothing’s going to happen tomorrow, Emilia.” Ooh, now he's using her full name, I thought, he must be mad.

“Are you kidding me, Zach?” Emily exclaimed exasperatedly. “There’s no way Devin would lie about zombies. Even if he didn’t say anything about it, the signs are pretty obvious. This is real.”

Zach didn’t say a word. Instead, he stared down at his lap. It was obvious he didn't want to be mad at Emily. So he opted for silence.

Emily turned her attention back on me and said, “We can’t leave tomorrow.”

“I don’t think we have a choice,” I said grimly. “Devin made the decision.”

“We don’t know how to fight!” Emily said worriedly.

“We’ll figure it out,” I said flatly.

Emily slumped back into her seat and muttered, “Then tomorrow it is.”

I smiled weakly at Emily and then glanced at Zach. “Zach?” I asked. When he didn’t reply, I continued. “You are on board with this, right? You’re going to come with us?” Zach still didn’t reply. “Zach, please,” I pleaded.

“I suppose I can come,” Zach said quietly, and it sounded like he regretted saying the words. “But only to tell you ‘I told you so’.”

I rolled my eyes, but nodded. At least he was coming. That was all that mattered. I couldn’t just leave him there... not when his safety could be at stake.

-

I stood outside of my house and simply stared up at it. I might never see this house again, I thought. I frowned as I remembered that I might not even live through everything that was going on.

I looked away from my house and down the abandoned road. Devin was walking towards me, supplies in his hands. I glanced over at Zach and Emily to see them looking everywhere but at Devin. They were really uneasy about the whole concept of us going that day... but they knew that they had no choice.

Devin walked up to the three of us and handed each of us a flashlight and what looked like a first aid kit. He also handed us a small belt with sections in it to place our flashlights, health packs, and any other objects we may encounter on the way.

Devin also handed us each a second pistol and I placed the two I had into my belt. I picked up the submachine gun Devin gave us the day before and hoisted it over my shoulder.

“Where to?” I asked Devin.

Devin didn’t answer. Instead, he began walking back down the road. Emily, Zach, and I glanced at each other before following Devin wordlessly.

We walked towards the direction of the graveyard, and so far, not a thing was to be seen. A sign on the side of the abandoned road indicated that the cemetery wasn’t far.

After a few more minutes of walking, the cemetery finally came into view. From a distance, it looked like it was in ruins. The grass was torn from the ground and massive piles of dirt were scattered around the graveyard.

As we walked closer, I noticed that among the debris, there were what looked like limp figures stumbling across the cemetery. I squinted my eyes to try to get a better look and what I saw was horrifying. They had grey, leathery skin that seemed to be rotting and the thin layer of skin they did have barely clung to their bones. Their clothes were tattered and their eyes shone a bright yellow that could be seen from a very long distance. To top it all off, they groaned and screeched. I didn't think I liked it so much. I could spot their appearance from where I was standing already, I didn't want to think about what they looked like up close.