Chapter 1

A fan fiction for Left 4 Dead

Disclaimer: This is pretty much a totally new start, but most of the zombies in this story (the Boomer, the Witch, the Charger, the Jockey, the Hunter, the Tank, the Spitter, the Smoker, and the Infected [your regular zombies]) belong to the makers of "Left 4 Dead". Other than that, I would say the plot is pretty different and there are totally new characters. Thanks if you took the time to read this message.

Chapter 1

"Die, zombies! Die!" Emily shouted at the screen.

"You're going down, flesh-eaters!" Zachary, preferably Zach, shouted as well.

I rolled my eyes playfully as I looked from Emily's pale, slender, and pretty face to Zach's tanned, strong, and handsome face. Honestly, they were just like little kids when they had xbox controllers in hand. They were playing some zombie video game, and I sat on the couch and just watched. I didn't find anything very appealing about killing zombies and I didn't know how they enjoyed it... but watching them play was pretty interesting. Watching their expressions contort, listening to them rage, hearing Emily give out a small shriek of terror when an unexpected zombie popped up... like I said... pretty entertaining.

I glanced at Emily and sighed softly. Emily's mom died only a month previously and Zach and I took her in. Since it happened, there had been one thing on my mind. Something that wouldn't quite go away.

Emily and I were at the funeral. The reception went by slowly, but the end came soon enough. Emily and I stayed back for a little longer and stood by her mom's grave. There were a few tears from Emily and that was when she decided to leave. I lingered in the cemetery for a while more and walked over to where my dad's grave was. He died when I was six and I missed him more than the world.

I sat in front of his grave and brushed my hand across the name on the gravestone: "Phillip Kepling -- 1998 - 2038". A tear rolled down my cheek as I thought about everything my dad did for me. If I knew he was going to die so soon, I would've treated him better. After he died, I still had my mom of course, but we weren't very close. She left when I was sixteen, and Zach was fifteen. However, I happened to know the mayor of our town along with his wife, and they decided I was responsible enough to live with Zach, just the two of us. It sucked living alone, but I loved my dad more than anything, and I couldn't bring myself to live with anyone else.

I started to stand up when the ground shook. I nearly fell, but I quickly caught myself. I looked around for the source of the movement, but nothing was there. There were no machines or anything that could've caused the ground to shake. My immediate thought was that it was an earthquake. But our little town hadn't had an earthquake in centuries. Surely it wouldn't have happened then, out of no where.

I shook off the thought and began moving again. However, the ground shook once more and, that time, I completely lost balance. I fell sideways and my head collided with a nearby gravestone. I carefully sat up and reached for the throbbing pain in my head. I felt something... wet and sticky. I looked down at my hand to find it almost coated in blood. My heart thudded in my chest. I simply stared at it with wide eyes, then quickly jumped to my feet. After one more brief look around, I ran. Where I was running? I didn't have a clue. All I knew was that I needed to get away from that graveyard as quick as humanly possible.

"Ash!" I heard someone yell from above me. I blinked a couple times before looking up. Zach was standing over me, worry in his eyes. That was when I noticed the dampness just under my eyes. I quickly rubbed at my tears with the back of my sleeve. That was the most terrifying moment of my life, but I couldn't tell you why.