Chapter 7

Quick A/N: I actually wrote this scene ahead of time, like I finished it about two weeks ago, but I forgot that I had it, so I'm writing it down now. It might be a little short, so I'll try to add more detail while I write, but no promises.

Chapter 7

A loud screech rang out from behind me, Emily, Zach, and Devin. However, it was gone before it even finished, courtesy of the gunshot that just fired.

For the most part, our trip so far wasn't very zombie-filled. The zombies seemed to be pretty scattered out most of the time, at least where we currently were, so our run-ins with the creatures remained minimal. I wasn't complaining. The less zombies, the better. It would be easier—and faster—to get to northern Canada if things stayed that way. And honestly, I was pretty used to the small amount of zombies by then, so anything more wouldn't be too easy.

So you could imagine my surprise when there were about six or seven simultaneous shrieks after that gunshot.

My heart raced as I scanned my brain for what was in that book. Then it clicked.

"Horde," I breathed.

"Shit," Devin said from behind me. Since he read the book, he knew exactly what I was talking about.

It was the first time the whole trip I actually felt anxious. If anybody screwed up, if one zombie was missed, if somebody stepped out of line, we were all dead. Or worse, we became one of them.

"Get your guns out, form a circle, but keep your backs to each other. We can cover everyone this way," I demanded rather quickly.

That was what made me a contributing asset to our group of four. I was quick on my feet and I could deliver ideas calmly no matter what the curcumstance. Being that we were in a zombie apocalypse, it was definitely a useful attribute to have.

The three didn't hesitate to do what I said, even though it was clear that Zach and Emily were thoroughly confused. And, obviously, I didn't bother to explain like I would have in any other circumstance. They would see why I was doing it in a matter of seconds anyway. On top of that, an explanation wasn't extremely vital like it would be if we found ourselves standing in front of one of the "special infected". I shuddered just thinking about it. I hoped we wouldn't have to worry about that too soon.

I took my place in the circle and unsheathed my crowbar. I took a deep breath, readying myself for the zombies that were about to run at us. They rounded a bend, and then, they were coming at us from all directions.

"If you have more than ten, nudge me," I said hastily and quietly.

Both Zach and Emily nudged me in response.

I passed the molotov I'd been holding onto to Zach and said rather hurriedly, "You and Emily are next to each other, so throw it in the centre to do more damage."

I didn't wait for a response. Instead, I readied my crowbar, getting into the position that Devin had taught me only hours ago. I slowly brought it back behind my head, like I would with a baseball bat, and swung hard when the first zombie approached me, getting it through the chest.

As I fended off the rest, I vaguely heard the sound of a bottle smash and the mangled shrieks of nearby zombies behind the blood pounding in my ears, and I knew that Zach had just thrown the molotov.

I took down a couple more zombies before no more were coming from my side. I helped Devin who looked like he was struggling, and then, the only sound was our heavy breathing and the crackling of fire.

I turned to face all three. "Good job, guys," I said, offering them all a weak smile. All they did was nod in response, but I couldn't blame them for not being all that enthusiastic. I mean, we were covered in blood and we weren't exactly going to find a working shower just lying around in the middle of no where. "Is anyone injured?" I asked, scanning my friends—and Devin—for any visible wounds. I couldn't find any, but then again, I wouldn't be able to tell anyway as they were covered in blood that wasn't there own.