six

fifth grade had to be one of my most

fifth grade had to be one of my most... interesting years. not only had i become a big brother for two sisters now, but it was the year my mom and dad finally decided to get me off my lazy ass and get me to do more extracurriculars outside of school. one of them being piano lessons. at first i thought it would be fun, but i soon realized during my first session of torture it was terrible. even after every time leaving each of my piano sessions and telling my parents that i hated it, they used the same exact excuse, "go again and if you hate the next session, we'll let you quit."

it took four fucking years before i was finally free from that shit.

my parents also signed me up to do karate. at the time that sounded way cooler than piano lessons, but again, i soon realized that karate was just as horrible. the people working there took their job way too seriously and i always came home super sore. thankfully my parents hadn't forced me to do that for years though. although it still felt too long for me.

the only thing that i had genuinely liked that my mom and dad got me to do was tennis. the moment i first hit the tennis ball with my racket during my first practice in the tennis court i felt an instant rush of love from the sport. ever since then i played tennis for basically half of my life. i still do really enjoy tennis, even now whenever i walk pass a tennis court and i see people playing a game together i can't help but to stop and watch for a little while. really the only reason that's stopping me now from playing tennis for fun is my job... and because i've probably gotten more lazy over the years.

"how's piano lessons coming along?" natalie had asked me.

oddly enough, that february day was hot and we were both sitting outside on the lawn of my house eating a rocket popsicle. times like these i've always cherished from my childhood, not that i would ever admit it to anyone, especially to natalie currently. i rolled my eyes at the mention of my piano lessons, which caused natalie to smirk lightly at me, "don't even mention those words around me." i said back.

"what about karate?" i could just hear the taunting in her voice.

"are you trying to annoy me?"

"did you just figure that out now?"

"shut up." i raised my hand and lightly pushed natalie, which caused her to giggle and fall onto her side on the grass.

she didn't bother to get up from the grass, as she shifted her position so that her back was in the grass, continuing to eat her rocket popsicle, "what about tennis? you seem to like that a lot." she said with a mouthful of her rocket popsicle.

a small smile appeared on my face at the mention of my favorite sport, "yeah, i wanna keep doing that."

"i never thought you'd be the type to play a sport. i thought you would've just joined the chess club or something."