five

fourth grade rolls around eventually and it was finally the year my mom and dad had everything ready so we could move

    fourth grade rolls around eventually and it was finally the year my mom and dad had everything ready so we could move. and that we did, right to chicago, vernon hills. i was excited to move to be honest. it was like traveling to a new world except i was going to be living there for the rest of my childhood. plus, car rides were always fun for me since i got to see a bunch of angel's numbers on the way to our destination. i never realized how many angel's numbers were actually surrounding me until i actually leave my house. the only person that wasn't having a good time was ester. six hour trips definitely weren't fun for a one year old.

by the time we arrived at the house my mom rushed out of the car to get ester and bring her into the new home to possibly calm her. i stayed behind with my dad to help him unload some of our belongings. my family always had trouble with finances or even just earning money in general. i wouldn't say that we were poor, but we just had to work harder than most people. speaking of broke though, we couldn't afford a huge moving truck at the time, so we had to rent a small one and bring just the important stuff with us. not that we were going to miss anything we left behind at our old house.

"david, go grab the last bag in the back of the car." i heard my father's voice yell to me from another room.

"do i have to?" i called back, just to be annoying.

"yes."

i let out a defeated sigh before heading towards the door, grabbing the handle and twisting it open. i step outside and leave the front door open since i was going right back inside. i sprint over to where our car was parked. my dad had left the trunk open, which was pretty stupid now that i think back on it since someone could've robbed us. i walk around our car to where the trunk was, swiftly grabbing the last bag inside. i place it onto the ground after and reach up for the top of the trunk, shutting it loudly. just as i picked up the bag and began walking back towards my house i heard a voice, "hey!"

i froze up immediately in place, eyes widening slightly. my head sharply turns in the direction to where the source of sound came from. a girl around my age was standing only a few feet away from me on our new neighbor's lawn. her hands were tucked behind her back and her posture was mostly straight. a calm expression was held across her face when she speaks up again, "are you our new neighbor?" she asked, tilting her head lightly.

"um..." i began, then shook the bag in my grip slightly, "i would think."

"you don't need to be sarcastic." she remarked back, "you could've just said 'yes'."

i paused, "i never said i was your neighbor, though, did i?" my parents weren't the only people i tried to annoy, as you can see. it was pretty much anyone i came across, "what if i'm just stealing these people's stuff? i could rob your house next." a small smirk played on my face.

the girl with the long dark chocolate hair gave me a look, her arms coming out from behind her to cross over her chest, "a boy with the hair of a mop and glasses from harry potter isn't threatening to me." she smirked lightly, "plus, i already saw you and your family arrive at the house earlier."